UltraEdit not rising to top from context menu

UltraEdit not rising to top from context menu

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 22, 2004#1

Hi All!

I have just installed UltraEdit 10.20.. When I right click on a file and select "UltraEdit", it opens the document but instead of bringing UltraEdit to the top it just flashes the UltraEdit icon in the taskbar, forcing me to switch manually to the app.

Is there a way to change this behaviour so that it raises the window instead?

Rob
    :)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 28, 2004#2

After click on the UltraEdit task to open it, do you see a dialog which asks you something, for example convert the file to DOS?

If so, you should change the settings to do this without asking you. It is windows standard, that a program remains in background, if the program has a user dialog open. This happens not only in UltraEdit. I know, it is annoying.

When you right click on a file and open it with UltraEdit, is UltraEdit already open in the background and if so, with a normal window or minimized?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Nov 28, 2004#3

Happens to me too. If I have UE open and maximized, then right click in Windows Explorer to open a different file in a new instance of UE, the new instance doesn't automatically come to the top like it used to. I have to click on it in the taskbar to bring it to the top. Very irritating.
        Software For Metalworking
        http://closetolerancesoftware.com

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 29, 2004#4

Hi Mofi,

I have my "convert the file to DOS" setting already on "automatic" so I do not think that is the issue.

I tested opening files from Windows Explorer by "right click | UltraEdit" with UltraEdit in three states, with the following results:
          - UltraEdit minimised: UltraEdit comes to front.
          - UltraEdit maximised: task bar flashes
          - UltraEdit under max sized: task bar flashes.

Rob

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 29, 2004#5

See http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/ ... p/6232.asp
            about ForegroundLockTimeout. Maybe you have changed your settings (with TweakUI ?). Just an idea. Don't know, if this setting is really responsible for your problem.

MasterMaster

Nov 29, 2004#6

This happens on two different computers, one with NT and the other with XP. Neither has TweakUI installed. ForegroundLockTimeout value on the XP system is decimal 200000.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 29, 2004#7

Okay. We should isolate the responsible application for that problem, because I cannot reproduce it on my machine.

1.) Export
                [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions]
                with regedit to a file and delete the whole key "IDM Computer Solutions".

2.) Rename Uedit32.ini to Uedit32.ini.bak.

3.) Test again, if UE still only flashes with default settings.

If it still happens, it must be a explorer setting. If UE comes to foreground, it is a setting of UE. Report here, what happens.

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 29, 2004#8

Well.. I deleted the key and the problem still occured -- but I noticed that I do not have a Uedit32.ini file. Can you post the contents of yours here?

Rob

MasterMaster

Nov 30, 2004#9

I exported and removed the key, then renamed uedit32.ini to something else (Rob - did you look in the C:\Window directory?)

The first-opened UE window stays on top when I open a second file using the context menu in Explorer.

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 30, 2004#10

Hello!
                      mrainey56 wrote:I exported and removed the key, then renamed uedit32.ini to something else (Rob - did you look in the C:\Window directory?)
                      On W2K - I checked C:\WINNT as well as Program Files and found no uedit32.ini file..

Rob

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 30, 2004#11

To StaticGhost - see Clearing dropdown search string list for details about the location of Uedit32.ini.

I do the same on my computer (UltraEdit with it's default settings) and when I open files with the context menu, it operates like it should. UltraEdit always comes to foreground and shows the new opened file in foreground. The default setting is, that UE will not allow multiply instances.

That is very mysterious.

Now let us check the registry settings which are responsible for the context menu handling.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit-32]
                        @="{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32]
                        @="C:\\Programs Files\\UltraEdit\\ue32ctmn.dll"
                        "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

Check the keys and the path to the dll. Verify also, that you have the correct dll for your version of UE and verify also, that there are no other uedit32.ini on your harddisk.

If opening files with the context menu still not working as expected, we have to log the file and registry accesses on our machines and compare it to find out, what is the difference which causes this abnormal task handling.

I should also mention, that I have added the UE-directory to the path environmentvariable.

Basic UserBasic User

Nov 30, 2004#12

Thanks Mofi. I found my Uedit32.ini, renamed it as you suggested, nuked the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IDM Computer Solutions] key and got the same thing - opening files with Uedit from context menu doesn't bring UltraEdit to the front but just flashes the icon in the task bar (although when I go to UltraEdit the document I opened *is* at the front).
                          Mofi wrote:Now let us check the registry settings which are responsible for the context menu handling.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit-32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32]
                          @="C:\\Programs Files\\UltraEdit\\ue32ctmn.dll"
                          Here are mine:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\UltraEdit-32]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{b5eedee0-c06e-11cf-8c56-444553540000}\InProcServer32]
                          @="C:\\Program Files\\UltraEdit\\ue32ctmn.dll"
                          Mofi wrote:Check the keys and the path to the dll. Verify also, that you have the correct dll for your version of UE and verify also, that there are no other uedit32.ini on your harddisk.
                          OK, well the paths are correct and ue32ctmn.dll is V1.0.0.1
                          Mofi wrote:If opening files with the context menu still not working as expected, we have to log the file and registry accesses on our machines and compare it to find out, what is the difference which causes this abnormal task handling.
                          How do I do this? :)
                          Mofi wrote:I should also mention, that I have added the UE-directory to the path environmentvariable.
                          It is also in my path..

Thank you for your time and effort - it is much appreciated!

Rob

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 01, 2004#13

Everything looks correct. So I think, it is not an UltraEdit setting.

To log the file and registry accesses during opening a file from the context menu download Filemon and Regmon from SysInternals.

Play a little with these 2 tools. Set the include filter to Explorer;Uedit32. Check the log files. Perhaps you can see the reason without my help.

If not, zip the logs and upload it anywhere. I will then download it and compare it with my logs. Please tell me also, which version of UE and windows you have.

Dec 15, 2004#14

Have you Visual Studio installed and/or a debugger running?

I have seen in the regmon-log, that explorer looks for registry key

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\uedit32.exe

Is this key specified on your machines. If so, delete it and try again.

Which version of UE do you have?. I run my tests with V10.10c, but can try it also with latest version.

NewbieNewbie

Dec 31, 2004#15

Here is the solution - I hope so...

I am using the German version v10.20d+ and I have marked the entry "Anzeige - Editor immer maximiert öffnen" [1] with a cross and now the window flushes to the top! :D

Happy New Year

Las

[1] possible translation:
                                Display - open editor always maximized

Read more posts (6 remaining)