UltraEdit v27.00 error when two or more instances are open (fixed)

UltraEdit v27.00 error when two or more instances are open (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Jun 02, 2020#1

I've been getting the attached error for say about one week now.  I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64, using 64-bit UltraEdit v27.00.0.30.

Once I open two instances or more of UE, this error will slowly pop up, I'd say every 10 minutes or so one would pop up.
    It's part of UltraEdit as when I hover my mouse over the UE shortcut on the task bar I can see all these error windows along with the opened UE windows.

Have anyone encountered this?
    It's getting quite annoying.

I want to add that, the two (or more) instances of UE are not editing the same files. They would have temp files though, those that are named Edit1, Edit2, etc. that are unsaved.
    error_2.jpg (3.38MiB)
    error_2020-06-01.jpg (56.85KiB)

NewbieNewbie

Jul 08, 2020#2

I get the same error since upgrading to x64 v27.00 (v26.20 was fine) and have three instances of UltraEdit open for different projects. I only get two popups though, and they always start only after resuming my PC from sleep. If I close two of the UltraEdit instances, the errors go away and after restarting them the errors do not re-appear until waking up the PC from sleep again. All files open in all three instances are local to the PC with no crossover between instances. I've already 'fixed' the errors by restarting UltraEdit today, but when it happens again tomorrow I'll have a session with Process Monitor to see if it can identify the cause.

NewbieNewbie

Jul 08, 2020#3

Hmmm... I thought this would be fixed in the latest version. When I had this problem, support worked with me and gave me a hotfix - I don't remember the exact version number. But I've updated it once after this hotfix so I'm thinking they have put the fix in the latest version. The version I have now is 27.00.0.72.
        Is this what you use?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 08, 2020#4

The UltraEdit hotfix information page contains for v27.00.0.68 the information:
          • Addressed "Process cannot access the file" error when using multiple instances
          So the issue is definitely fixed with currently latest v27.00.0.72.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Jul 09, 2020#5

Thanks for the update. I've installed the update and will see tomorrow if it fixes the issue for me. Here is what ProcMon said was the cause:

High Resolution Date & Time:    09/07/20 08:10:56.5995713
            Event Class:    File System
            Operation:    CreateFile
            Result:    SHARING VIOLATION
            Path:    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\volatile\ue.vod
            TID:    9396
            Duration:    0.0000329
            Desired Access:    Generic Read
            Disposition:    Open
            Options:    Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File
            Attributes:    N
            ShareMode:    Read
            AllocationSize:    n/a

High Resolution Date & Time:    09/07/20 08:10:56.6643934
            Event Class:    File System
            Operation:    CreateFile
            Result:    SHARING VIOLATION
            Path:    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraEdit\volatile\ue.vod
            TID:    10396
            Duration:    0.0000224
            Desired Access:    Generic Read
            Disposition:    Open
            Options:    Synchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory File
            Attributes:    N
            ShareMode:    Read
            AllocationSize:    n/a

Jul 10, 2020#6

sammy wrote:
              Jul 08, 2020
              Hmmm... I thought this would be fixed in the latest version. When I had this problem, support worked with me and gave me a hotfix - I don't remember the exact version number. But I've updated it once after this hotfix so I'm thinking they have put the fix in the latest version. The version I have now is 27.00.0.72.
              Is this what you use?
              I don't know what revision I was on before, but after updating it again yesterday I am now on 27.00.0.72 according to the installer properties. So far, the errors have stopped for me.