Unable to run UltraEdit under the Ubuntu 24.04 environment

Unable to run UltraEdit under the Ubuntu 24.04 environment

NewbieNewbie

9:39 - Apr 28#1

Hi,

I am unable to run UltraEdit under Ubuntu 24.04. The steps I made are downloading Gzip compressed TAR file of UltraEdit 21.00 for Linux . Then I uncompressed it, and attempted to run UE – the uex/bin/uex binary file. However, I am not getting a successful UltraEdit startup. The terminal output is:
    ./uex: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.62: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Can you please help in regards to what is necessary to have UltraEdit run for a normal user?

Deb installation files do not work as well. I suspect this is related to Wayland, but I am unsure/not 100% certain, nor do I know how to go around fixing this.

I am a licensed user.

With thanks,
    Mario

Grand MasterGrand Master

10:23 - Apr 28#2

The information provided on the web page How to Install and Uninstall libjpeg62 Package on Ubuntu 24.04 LTS (Noble Numbat) could be useful for fixing this library dependency issue.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

10:50 - Apr 28#3

Hi Mofi,

I did the installation of  libjpeg62 package, as well as libwebkit2gtk-4.0-doc , libwebkitgtk-doc .

However the run is still not possible, due to the dependencies which are missing in the new Ubuntu:

"./uex: error while loading shared libraries: libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I am not sure what is the remedy for this one. UE was a struggle even in 22.04, where I had to us Xorg instead of Wayland when logging in, in order to have it up for a normal user.

New Ubuntu does not even offer Xorg. I assume it is not only the library files that are the issue, but an underlying Wayland issue, but this is an assumption. Someone probably knows a bit more. Hence I started the discussion.

With thanks in advance.

Grand MasterGrand Master

13:13 - Apr 28#4

It looks like it is time that UltraEdit, Inc. publishes a new release of UEX for Linux which is compatible with the latest versions of the Linux distributions because of lots of changes regarding to pre-installed libraries. The three years old UEX for Linux seems to be too old for the currently latest Linux distributions. Linux is not like Windows where a more than three years or even more than 15 years old Windows GUI application can be very often still installed and used on latest version of Windows.

Please report your issues to UltraEdit support by email. The more UEX users do that the higher becomes the priority for an updated version of UEX for Linux.

It looks like there is an UEX beta testing period  currently active according to Can't run UEX Beta on Debian 12. I don't know more because of I use UltraEdit only on Windows.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

13:31 - Apr 28#5

I reported the issue to the support channel/mail just before posting this in the forum. I am a bit skeptical about their feedback though, since a very similar issue with Wayland & UEX was also reported two years ago, by myself, to the support, and there hasn't been an UEX engine fix/update for Linux since then.

There are alternatives to UEX on Linux: Geany (probably the most similar), VSCode. However, users paying for software they need for work should be patched/fixed with higher frequency, as you very well state in your observation.

UltraEdit, Inc., please have this looked into. You have developers checking this for Debian based systems.