UNIX files always open as DOS, auto-convert is off

UNIX files always open as DOS, auto-convert is off

NewbieNewbie

Aug 16, 2005#1

Hi, I am using UltraEdit v9.10a.

In the configuration:
    • Auto detect UNIX files is checked.
    • Auto convert UNIX files is unchecked.
    Every time I open a UNIX file it says DOS in the status bar.
    I convert it to UNIX and save it, and then re-open it and it becomes DOS again. This causes our UNIX scripts to not be able to execute when we by accident save them as DOS.

Thank you,
    Tony

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 27, 2006#2

I do not have installed v9.10a anymore, but I will give some hints. Maybe one helps.

I see following line in readme.txt of UE v11.20a for UE v9.10b.

- Fix problem with last line not being converted in UNIX-DOS conversion

The latest version of UE you can use with your key is v9.20b. You can get it by email from IDM support. But back to your problem.

In latest version of UE there are 2 important settings in the configuration dialog for handling Unix files. The first one is:

Unix/Mac file detection/conversion

o Disable
      o Detect file type and prompt to change
      o Automatically convert to DOS format

The option Disable is saved in uedit32.ini as:

[Settings]
      Auto Convert Unix=0
      Auto Detect Unix=0

The option Detect file type and prompt to change is saved in uedit32.ini as:

[Settings]
      Auto Convert Unix=0
      Auto Detect Unix=1

The option Automatically convert to DOS format is saved in uedit32.ini as:

[Settings]
      Auto Convert Unix=1
      Auto Detect Unix=1

The second check box option is Save file as input format (UNIX/MAC/DOS) which is saved in uedit32.ini as:

[Settings]
      Save File Format as Input=0

with value 0 or 1. I don't know if v9.10a also supports this setting. You can open uedit32.exe with UltraEdit in hex mode and search for the ASCII string "Save File Format as Input". If this string is found in uedit32.exe, UE v9.10a should know it and has also the function to save the file in input format.

If v9.10a supports Save file as input format (UNIX/MAC/DOS) you should enable it and also Auto convert UNIX files. Then UltraEdit will convert a Unix file while loading for editing to DOS, but will still save it always in Unix format with converting it back while saving. I think, this only works if you have not disabled working with temp files.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria