Upgraded to v25.00, lost syntax highlighting customizations for HTML (solved)

Upgraded to v25.00, lost syntax highlighting customizations for HTML (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Mar 18, 2018#1

I just upgraded to v25.00 and found out it made me lose all my customizations for my syntax highlighting file for HTML and the html.uew file has been reset to the default. Is there any way to get back my settings and the old file?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 18, 2018#2

UltraEdit creates a backup directory of the wordfiles directory on replacing it. So open %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit in Windows Explorer or any other file manager. You should see two wordfiles subdirectories in this directory. The one with the date in name is the backup directory. Copy your html.uew from the wordfiles directory with date in name into the wordfiles directory with no date in name. It is perhaps better to compare before the file html.uew installed with UE v25.00 with your customized version and take over some of the keywords of standard html.uew to your customized version of this file.

The syntax highlighting colors are stored in the themes file which is either a custom theme file like on my machines which is never updated by UltraEdit automatically or a default theme with customizations in which case the customizations are stored in %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\themes\overrides containing the ThemeName.ue-theme file which contains only the settings being customized different to default installed theme. UltraEdit never overwrites the overrides theme file. So I'm wondering myself why syntax highlighting colors for HTML should have been lost on your machine. I think, they are just lost because of standard html.uew has a different language name as your customized html.uew resulting in getting your language color settings not loaded for HTML. Therefore your customization for HTML should be back after restoring your customized html.uew into the wordfiles directory.

Of course it could be that you upgraded from a version of UltraEdit which saved the syntax highlighting colors in the wordfile itself or from an even older version which saved them in INI file instead of the themes (overrides) file. In this case take a look at ultimate syntax highlighting tools.

BTW: There is in menu Advanced the menu item Backup/restore user customizations on using toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus, or in menu Advanced in submenu Backup settings the menu item Backup / restore user customizations on using toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus, or on ribbon tab Advanced in group Configure the item Backup settings with pop-up menu item Backup / restore user customizations. The dialog opened clicking on the menu item lets you backup all your configuration into a container file for easy restore with same dialog on corruption or accident misconfiguration.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 19, 2018#3

Great! Thank you so much. Yes, all I had to do was update the html.uew file. So I just copied and pasted my customizations into the new file. Then the theme settings were still there. And yes, after upgrading I saw the menu item in Advanced where you can backup your customizations. So I'll do that now. Thanks for your help!