Using template file to create new file

Using template file to create new file

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 26, 2018#1

I've created a global template file called NewBat and thought that I could create a new file with its content with the following macro. What am I doing wrong? Or is there a better way to do this from within a macro? I couldn't seem to find a way to just enter the new file content from within the macro body. The NewBat template content is also below. Using a macro, I can create a new "empty" bat file with a single keystroke, then enter the filename and content and then save as.

Macro code:

Code: Select all

InsertMode
    ColumnModeOff
    NewFile
    Template "NewBat"

Template content:

@set echoonoff=off
    @echo %echoonoff%
    rem 
    rem 
    rem .bat
    rem 

Exit /b

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 27, 2018#2

The name of the global template file is UETMPLTE.TPL in directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\Templates or the templates directory configured at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Directories. It is not possible to create a global template file with name NewBat. But the macro works if you have created a global template with name NewBat stored in file UETMPLTE.TPL using Modify Templates dialog. This dialog can be opened with:
      • right clicking into Template List view and left clicking on context menu item Modify templates (any user interface mode);
      • in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus with clicking in menu Advanced on menu item Display/modify templates...;
      • in toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus with clicking in menu Coding in submenu Code template on menu item Modify code templates;
      • in ribbon mode with clicking on ribbon tab Coding in last ribbon group Tools on second item Code template.
      In ribbon mode and in toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus it is not possible to open the Modify Templates dialog with active file not being syntax highlighted on using UltraEdit for Windows v25.20.0.88 or UEStudio v18.20.0.18. This is a bug in my point of view because of this dialog is not only used for creating/editing syntax language templates. So it should be always possible to click on Modify code templates. I have reported this issue to IDM support by email.

It must be made sure after opening Modify Templates that template group Global is selected in drop-down list at top right edge of the window to create/edit global templates.

My suggestions:

You could add a second global template with name GetFileName with content [FILE_NAME] and use as macro:

InsertMode
      ColumnModeOff
      NewFile
      Template NewBat
      SaveAs ""
      PerlReOn
      Find MatchCase RegExp Up "rem \K(?=\.bat)"
      Template GetFileName
      Key UP ARROW
      Key UP ARROW

This macro creates the new file with the lines stored in global template NewBat, opens the Save As dialog and inserts the name of the saved batch file in line with rem .bat without file path and without file extension before moving caret to end of first remark line.

But perhaps better would be a global template with name GetFileNameExt with content [FILE_NAME][FILE_EXTENSION] and following code for the macro file:

InsertMode
      ColumnModeOff
      NewFile
      "@set echoonoff=off
      @echo %echoonoff%
      rem 
      rem 
      rem 
      rem 

Exit /b
      "
      SaveAs ""
      GotoLine 5 5
      Template GetFileNameExt
      GotoLine 3 5

It inserts the lines for a new batch file always directly from macro code. So it makes use of only one global template with name GetFileNameExt to insert name of just saved batch file without path. Even this global template could be omitted by replacing the macro command Template GetFileNameExt by:

Clipboard 9
      CopyFilePath
      Paste
      ClearClipboard
      Clipboard 0
      GotoLine 5 5
      PerlReOn
      Find MatchCase RegExp ".+\x5C"
      Replace ""

The disadvantage of this solution to get name of just saved batch file without path written into the batch file is that it produces one additional undo record because of inserting the name of the batch file first with full path and next deleting file path.

Another solution would be using for global template NewBat the content:

@set echoonoff=off
      @echo %echoonoff%
      rem ^
      rem 
      rem [FILE_NAME][FILE_EXTENSION]
      rem 

Exit /b

And use for the macro:

InsertMode
      ColumnModeOff
      NewFile
      SaveAs ""
      Template NewBat

This solution would produce only one undo record which would remove everything inserted by template NewBat.

All of my suggestions were tested by me with UE v25.20.0.88 before posting them here.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 27, 2018#3

Thanks for all the options. I decided to go with the last one. It's great! Thanks