SSH/Telnet client usability issues introduced with UEStudio 2024 (2024.0.0.35 64-bit)

SSH/Telnet client usability issues introduced with UEStudio 2024 (2024.0.0.35 64-bit)

16:56 - Jul 23#1

I use the SSH/Telnet client extensively and have noticed some usability issues and significant differences from v2023 with the new v2024 release:
    1. Password displayed in SSH window in plain text. It used to be sent without echoing to the screen. Not significant but possibly an unintended change.
    2. UNABLE TO COPY / PASTE from right click menu in the SSH window. Actually no right click menu at all. Ctrl+C / Ctrl+V works but what was simple and intuitive – right-click copy from the editor and right-click paste to SSH – is now a two-hand operation.
    3. COPYING ONE LINE OF TEXT (Ctrl+C) AND PASTING (Ctrl+V) INTO SSH WINDOW POSTS THE COPIED TEXT INTO THE WINDOW TWICE. This problem coupled with the issue listed next – missing line terminations – causes the doubled command to throw an error.
    4. SOMETHING WEIRD IS HAPPENING WITH LINE TERMINATIONS. They are not being handled the same way they used to be – I don't know if the issue is that the SSH window is not honoring the UE/UES editor settings Conversions or DOS/Unix/Mac handling regarding how line terminations are handled between systems, but UE/UES SSH is not behaving the way it used to do. In the previous version I could copy a block of commands into the SSH window an each line-terminated command would be processed singly in sequence. With v2024 and possibly the line terminations missing from the command block – the server can't parse the block and naturally throws an error trying to process the big blob of undelimited text. If I can figure out if there is a combination that works with our server SSH I'll post back.
    5. THE SSH WINDOW IS NOT SENDING THE TAB CHARACTER. My primary use of UE/UES SSH is copying a command or block of commands from my text file repository of commands and pasting that into the SSH window, and then editing the results. Normally I will send a command that creates a create tab delimited .csv file on the server and copy/paste the results into Excel – however, the commands that I'm sending from v2024 specifying a tab delimited file WITH THE ASCII TAB CHARACTER actually contained in the script command text are being returned as SPACE delimited rather than TAB delimited. Even though the tab is in the command when it's pasted into the window, the command actually sent to the server does NOT specify the tab. I suspect this is related to the issue with line feeds.
    Hope this helps. I've used UEStudio for at least fifteen years as my primary tool for working with our Colleague/UniData/Windows server systems but these new 'features' are hosing my productivity testing out workarounds. I'll probably try to revert to v2023 unless I can get up to speed with the upgrade.

Rich Harrington
    Saint Xavier University Programmer Analyst Chicago

Grand MasterGrand Master

19:14 - Jul 23#2

I strongly recommend reporting these usability issues with SSH/Telnet client support of UE/UES 2024.0 also by email to support of UltraEdit, Inc. or using the form on the technical support page. This is a user to user forum not monitored by an employee of UltraEdit, Inc.

I don't use the SSH/Telnet feature of UE/UES. I cannot add something valuable for that reason on this topic.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

23:30 - Jul 23#3

Thanks for the heads up. Will do.

NewbieNewbie

10:10 - Aug 19#4

I have updated from UltraEdit 2023 to version 2024. Unfortunately, the SSH console no longer works. I can't find a button to connect to the server. And: When docked, the console looks like the editor window, and when undocked, the console is completely white (see screenshots).

Has anyone else had the same problem since the update?

I use the 64bit German version for Windows 10.
          ultraedit-2.png (5.79KiB)
          undocked
          ultraedit-1.png (20.27KiB)
          docked

Grand MasterGrand Master

16:47 - Aug 19#5

@spreecafe, please read the first post by rlharrington above.

I recommend reading also the topics Recommendations on updating from UE/UES ≤ v2024.0.0.28 to ≥ v2024.0.0.35 and "No update available at this time" but newer versions exist? (the post with the newsletter from Ben Schwenk).

Further the information regarding to SSH from the email to the beta testers of UltraEdit 2024.1.0.25 (Beta 2):
            • "cls" command incorrectly sent after connecting in SSH terminal
            • Multi-line text copied from file is pasted in reverse order in SSH console
            I don't use the SSH/telnet feature and have not configured an SSH account. But I can see in the SSH/telnet console window of 64-bit English UltraEdit v2024.0.0.35 and of 2024.1 beta 2 version on Windows 11 23H2 the button Accounts and Connect at top of the window, see the attached image below. There is no difference in look on docked or floating window. Either there is an issue with German version or something is not correct installed on your Windows PC.
            SSH_telnet_console.png (1.89KiB)
            SSH/telnet console window of UltraEdit 2024.0.0.35 with a custom theme
            Update: I just read the UltraEdit hotfix information for v2024.0.0.44 released 2024-08-18 which addresses the issue with blank SSH/telnet console window.
            • Color tooltip triggered in wrong context
            • FTP save fails with specific server and file content
            • Adding blank new lines causes wrapped line to appear
            • Binary file from Unisys mainframe isn’t correct after download
            • Column mode editing with specific setting causes deletion of rows
            • Control codes inserted on mouse click into SSH console in UE v2024.0
            • Windows error “ding” with every click into SSH window
            • Clipboard paste in SSH/telnet console always adds a line break
            • Crash when using file browser
            • Crash on startup with specific settings data
            • Unable to save ftp accounts to external file
            • Script fails to run on sequential execution
            • SSH terminal window is blank
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

15:47 - Aug 20#6

Customer support sent me the link to the pre-release build 2024.1.0.29, which fixed the problem.