UltraEdit for Windows v16.xx won't connect to Raspberry Pi with SSH (solved)

UltraEdit for Windows v16.xx won't connect to Raspberry Pi with SSH (solved)

NewbieNewbie

Dec 09, 2017#1

Hi - long time supporter and user of UE since the late 1990s here. My licensed UE v16 is unable to connect to a Raspberry Pi using SSH. The Pi just closes the connection, and a WireShark trace seems to indicate an inability to negotiate the SSH encryption protocols. I was getting tired of the native Pi editors like nano, and thought it would make sense to use the connectivity built into UE to directly edit remotely.

Mofi initially responded that my version of UE is too old. 

There is another option in case anyone is interested: I found that Notepad++ with the NppFTP plugin works perfectly with the Pi over SFTP, and enables in-place remote editing of files.

Thanks, Tim

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 09, 2017#2

Have you ever tried to establish an SSH connection to Raspberry Pi with currently latest UltraEdit v24.20.0 51 instead of a version being more than 7 years old?
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 09, 2017#3

Mofi,

I did search around the ultraedit.com site looking for updates, but I was unable to find any for my version. Some software companies provide updates for security-related issues for older versions, even after they have introduced upgraded versions with new features, but apparently IDM does not. 

I looked at the upgrade to the latest version. Despite the doubling of the upgrade cost, I would have gone ahead and purchased it, except that I also noticed a very significant issue. The licensing has apparently changed from the former "single user" license to a per-machine, per-install license. Even though I'm a single individual developer, I have more than three systems (many of them virtual) that I use under various circumstances. If I'm going to invest in UE as my "go to" editor, I want to be able to install and use it everywhere I work.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 10, 2017#4

The FTP/FTPS/STP and Telnet/SSH implementation is done in UltraEdit using a third-party library for which IDM pays for. I don't know if the library files of UE v24.20 are fully compatible with UE v16.30. But it would be worth a test if usage of the library files of UE v24.20 solves the SSH connection problem of UE v16.30 with Raspberry Pi.

I unpacked UE v16.30 from my archive, replaced the three library files as installed with UE v16.30 by the library files of 32-bit UE v24.20, started UE v16.30 and made an FTP connection to an FTP server. This quick test worked. I could not test an SSH connection.

I have compressed the three library files of UE v24.20 into a ZIP archive. Please download it (not possible anymore), backup the three files wodCertificate.dll, wodFtpDLX.dll and wodTelnetDLX.ocx installed with UE v16.30, then update these three files from the ZIP archive, start UltraEdit and test if SSH connection can be established with the newer versions of the library and if SSH session is working as expected.

Get the three files by installing latest 32-bit UltraEdit temporarily or by extracting them from MSI installer package of 32-bit UltraEdit for Windows without installation. See How do I extract files from an MSI package? on Super User for various solutions on how to extract the files from a Microsoft Installer package without really installing the application.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Dec 10, 2017#5

Mofi: Thank you very much for providing the updated libraries! That does fix the problem, and I am able to connect with SSH and SFTP to my Pi. I really appreciate you taking the initiative and effort to upload those, which entirely solve my problem. You are truly an example of excellent customer service.