UltraEdit takes over Windows Notepad as source viewer in IE

UltraEdit takes over Windows Notepad as source viewer in IE

NewbieNewbie

Sep 23, 2004#1

Hello
    Can you please help me with this problem I have regarding UltraEdit.
    I have UltraEdit v10.20c. Now when I want to view the source on a webpage it opens up in UltraEdit. It used to open in Notepad and I would like to be able to have it still open up in Notepad from time to time so how do I revert back please.
    Note: Under File Associations this is empty so it can't be that which changed it.
    Many Thanks

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 23, 2004#2

I simply clicked on the forum search, entered "notepad internet explorer" and found this, where your question is answered:

View Source from IE returns error with UE being registered as HTML editor
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 23, 2004#3

Thank you!
        I have now fixed my problem. Thank you for pointing out the location key in the registry. I just changed the default setting in the registry to point to notepad EXE. It would have been nice to have this option in UltraEdit instead of having to do this. As I think others that have never even used regedit would have a problem.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Sep 23, 2004#4

djjd wrote:It would have been nice to have this option in UltraEdit instead of having to do this.
          IIRC, the installer will ask you whether you want UltraEdit be used to view the source of webpages from IE.

Manni

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 23, 2004#5

My personal opinion is that the real problem is the philosophy and policy of Microsoft about how to allow interaction of other programs with Internet Explorer.

In Internet Explorer you can only choose from a predefined list (Tools - Internet Options - Programs) which program acts as source editor, email program, etc. To get the program you really want to this list, you have to set it in the registry manually. Some programs like MS Office do this automatically on install without asking the user.

The source viewer cannot be customized at all by the user in the Internet Options. There is no field where a user can enter or browse to the executable of an application which should be called for viewing the source of a displayed page.

The installer of UE is better as most other installers because it asks the user. You only have to read carefully during installation which should be a matter of course at every install you do, even if you do not understand everything.

So the real problem is that users can change the source editor program for IE from the list of programs in the Internet Explorer options, but no user can change the list itself by adding or removing a program, nor can a user customize the source viewer.

So my personal opinion is that not UltraEdit should have an option to be the source viewer for IE or not, instead IE should have the option to specify the source viewer the user really wants.

The users which are sophisticated enough to read html code should have also enough experince in setting program options. I estimate that 99% of IE users never have looked on the source of a html file or even know about the possibility to do that. (And I estimate also that 85% of html creators have never looked on the source of the html files they produce.) If you do not believe that look on the source of every html file and ask a person who works in a support department.

This is one of the hundreds of reasons why I spent US$ 29,- for Opera two years ago. In Opera users can simply specify which program is the source viewer by selecting the exe. So it is always an intentional executed users decision not a (hidden) tutored install option. I want UltraEdit as source viewer and I set it in Opera once and this never changed. Pressing Alt+F3 and Opera starts UltraEdit with the html file. Perfect! So it should be!
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Sep 23, 2004#6

Mofi wrote:This is one of the hundreds of reasons, why I spent US$ 29,- for Opera two years ago. In Opera, users can simply specify, which program is the source viewer by selecting the exe. So it is always an intentional executed users decision, not a (hidden) tutored install option.
              Same here. Those $29 where one of my best investments ever.

Manni

PS: To me, it's hard to see why anyone might use IE. But I find it impossible to see why anyone might want to use Notepad as the IE source viewer (not that anyone should be forced to use UEdit, though).

NewbieNewbie

Oct 25, 2005#7

Manni, Some of it may be what people get used to. I learned html on Notepad, so I comfortable using it for quick changes / updates. It opens fast without much mess. All I have to do is look, find, type, close. The things I need other programs for usually involve something other than a quick view or change. That's when I open them and use them, but I don't want programs opening when I'm not using them. I use Front Page for uploads, for example, since it looks for changes and updates those on the server. Otherwise, I don't want it - or any other program - having any control or automatic functions. Control needs to stay with the author. Otherwise, Ultraedit does some good stuff - when and if I need it to.