Cannot save file error message should show file name of file which cannot be saved

Cannot save file error message should show file name of file which cannot be saved

NewbieNewbie

Mar 18, 2019#1

A window titled "Cannot save file" with text "File/Device may be ReadOnly, or open for write by another application. Use 'Save as' to save as a different name." keeps popping up. I have many unsaved files open. Which one is the problem file? UltraEdit should show the name of the file.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 19, 2019#2

Do you know that this is a user to user forum? Such an enhancement request should be sent by email to IDM support to be taken into account for a future version of UltraEdit.

However, you are right that it is unclear for the user which file cannot be saved by UltraEdit on using command Save all instead of just Save on active file. For that reason I have just sent an enhancement request email to IDM support with following text.

I use 32-bit UltraEdit v26.00.0.48 on Windows 7 x64 at the moment.

It could happen on saving all modified files with command Save all that the error message Cannot save file is displayed for a file.

The problem is that name of file with file path is not shown in the error message making it difficult for the user to identify which of the opened files cannot be saved and needs to be saved with command Save as.

So I request the enhancement to append to this error message an empty line and next after "File: " the full qualified file name of the file or the name of the file buffer in case of a new file with no file name cannot be saved by UltraEdit/UEStudio because of a read-only attribute, missing appropriate (NTFS) file accessing permissions for a write operation, or a write-protected storage media, or a write lock by another application.

The error message should be for example:

File/device may be read-only, or open for write by another application.
      Use 'Save As' to save as different name.

File: F:\Temp\Test.tmp

Please note that I changed in my suggestion for error message also the word "Device" to "device" and the word "ReadOnly" to "read-only".

I can only suggest to select one unsaved file after the other and press Ctrl+S to save it and use on the file which cannot be saved key F12 to save it with a new name to same or a different directory or drive, or look if one of the opened files is opened also in another application by you which opened it with a write lock.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Mar 21, 2019#3

Thanks Mofi!