Insert String at every increment

Insert String at every increment

NewbieNewbie

Dec 06, 2020#1

Hello,

I don't understand the logical behind the function Insert - String at every increment.

For example when I have a text:

Code: Select all

aaaa
    aaaa
    aaaa
    aaaa
    aaaa
    aaaa
    aaaa
    If I insert the following string "xx" with a value of 2 as the increment (record length) at which to insert string, I get this:

Code: Select all

aaxxaaxx
    xxaaxxaaxx
    xxaaxxaaxx
    xxaaxxaaxx
    xxaaxxaaxx
    xxaaxxaaxx
    xxaaxxaaxx
    Why at the second line it starts to insert the defined string "xx" whereas it is supposed to count until the second character to insert the defined string?

Thanks

MasterMaster

Dec 06, 2020#2

It seems that record length means line length + length of lines delimiter (2 for DOS and 1 for Mac/Unix)
      Mac.PNG (247.22KiB)
      Mac1.PNG (181.16KiB)
      Dos.PNG (279.21KiB)
      dos1.PNG (158.26KiB)
      +1
      It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 06, 2020#3

The command String at every increment in menu Insert (toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus) or on tab Edit in popup menu of Insert item (ribbon mode) or in submenu Insert item in menu Edit (toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus) is not the command Insert/fill columns in contemporary menu Edit or on ribbon tab Edit or in traditional menu Column. It inserts the input string at every X increment with taking also all whitespaces characters into account which means also the newline characters carriage return and line-feed terminating a line in a DOS/Windows text file.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria