File change detection does not work sometimes with network located files (fixed)

File change detection does not work sometimes with network located files (fixed)

NewbieNewbie

Feb 18, 2022#1

I use at the moment UltraEdit Text/Hex Editor (x64)  version 28.20.0.92 on Windows10.
    The changes on a network located file are not detected by UltraEdit.
    Note: It works correctly with changes on local files.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 19, 2022#2

I cannot reproduce such an issue with UltraEdit for Windows v28.20.0.92 using the default settings of UltraEdit.
      • I opened a text file on a network drive with drive letter X: in UltraEdit.
      • Then I opened the same file in UEStudio, made a modification and saved it.
      • There was immediately shown the dialog window File changed, reload file? on switching back to UltraEdit with Alt+Tab, see Auto File Change Detection on Files in a Project.
      • I closed the file and opened it once again in UltraEdit using this time the UNC path.
      • I switched back to UEStudio with Alt+Tab, made a modification and saved the file.
      • I switched again to UltraEdit with Alt+Tab and UltraEdit v28.20.0.92 showed again the dialog informing me about the file change and asking me what to do now.
      So I suppose that the cause for not getting informed by UltraEdit about a file change is not UltraEdit, but something else like the server or the network-attached storage system. I suggest to use free Windows Sysinternals (Microsoft) tool Process Monitor and log the file system and network accesses while the file on the network resource is opened in UltraEdit and modified by another application. I could see with Process Monitor that UltraEdit queries the file information for the file on the NAS in both test cases on switching from UEStudio to UltraEdit to find out if the file attributes like last modification date or file size changed in comparison to the file attributes UltraEdit has in its memory for the opened file.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 21, 2022#3

Hi Mofi,
        1. That sounds a good idea.
        2. Unfortunately, I currently cannot reproduce the problem I had because the modifications made to a network file are well detected now by UltraEdit.
        3. Though, if I ever manage to get that problem again, I will open Process Monitor, filter on uedit64.exe and notepad++.exe processes, and send you the snapshot.
        2022-02-21 20_15_14-Process Monitor - Sysinternals_ www.sysinternals.com.png (167.62KiB)
        Thanks for your help.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 23, 2022#4

The beta testers of UltraEdit v2022.0 and UEStudio v2022.0 got an email with information about fixes and improvements in release candidate with the following item:
          • Improved File Change Detection for network (specifically samba) files
          I suppose this improvement is according to the issue discussed here which I could not reproduce (because of not using Samba mounted drives).
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria