Block Select (Alt + Select) not supported?

Block Select (Alt + Select) not supported?

May 10, 2006#1

I notice that I am unable to perform a block select by holding ALT and selecting text in UltraEdit v12.

Is this feature *really* not supported, or am I missing something?

If you don't know what block select is, try the ALT + Select functionality in any Microsoft Visual Studio version or TextPad

MasterMaster

May 10, 2006#2

Since I don't have MS Visual Studio or TextPad, I can only guess, but you don't happen to mean column mode (Menu Columns, 1st entry)?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 10, 2006#3

ALT+mouse select (not with keys) is selecting in column mode (MS Word also supports this).

In UltraEdit press ALT+C to switch to column mode. Then select what you want with the mouse or with the keys and continue editing in column mode. Press again ALT+C to switch back to normal edit mode.

Please note: The special column mode of UE offers much more editing possibilities than the simple column select of Visual Studio - see menu Column.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

May 10, 2006#4

Yes! This is exactly what I was talking about.

There's one problem, however. I don't like the fact that you have to "toggle" it on and off via ALT + C. I want to be able to hold ALT to enable column mode. Releasing ALT should disable it.

Is this possible? Thanks!

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 11, 2006#5

No, it is not possible. I would have written it already in my first answer, if it would be possible. If you are not a heavy keyboard user like I and prefer the mouse for selections, add the command "Toggle Column Mode editing" to your toolbar for easy enabling/disabling the column mode also with the mouse.

And you can write a feature request to IDM support, although no other UE user seems to need this selection capability because it is the first time I see this request in the forums.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

May 11, 2006#6

I am, in fact, a heavy keyboard user. This is why I even suggested holding ALT in the first place, which doesn't seem to be a mouse feature.

Again, you may not have heard other requests for this feature, but it really doesn't matter. It's all about personal preference.

I appreciate your replies. I think my problem is trying to relate UE to Visual Studio too much :)

I'm sure I'll get used to the toggle feature. I'll just bind it to one of my keyboard's macro keys and use it that way. Thanks again!