Where are my recovered files?

Where are my recovered files?

NewbieNewbie

Jul 12, 2006#1

My computer crashed last night, and I had a bunch of unsaved files open in UltraEdit. When I started UltraEdit this morning, it asked if I wanted to recover the files. I said Yes, but now I can't find them. I have searched Documents and Settings and UE's directory in Program Files. The files had never been saved, so the names were Edit1, etc.

Jul 18, 2006#2

It seemed like such a simple question, although I searched the forum for all versions of "recovered" and found nothing. Has nobody else ever had this problem? Or is the answer so obvious that nobody thought it was worth responding? :-)

MasterMaster

Jul 20, 2006#3

I think never saved files are lost.

rds Bego
        Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jul 20, 2006#4

It was a hard to find it out because I have to simulate a crash of UltraEdit. This has taken me a while how to do that. But now I can answer your question.

The recover function after a crash of UltraEdit or Windows recovers the data of a named file to the original file.

The recover function for new and never saved files only works with v12.10a and later. Previous versions of UltraEdit crashed while trying to recover these files. V12.10a of UltraEdit recovers not saved files by loading the content again to new files - better buffers because a file is only a file when it is saved at least once. Working hours on a new file without saving it once is always like walking on a steel cable over a 300 meters high abyss .

Following recover entries can be found in readme.txt of v12.10a:

v12.10a 2006-06-12
          - Crash on auto-recovery of an unsaved new file

v12.00a 2006-04-28
          - Issue with auto-recovery and multiple instances

If you did not have v12.10a while recovering the unsaved data, you can look if Edit.0?? files still existing in the directory specified with the environment variable TEMP. Click on Start button of Windows, click on Run, enter %TEMP% and press button OK to open the directory for temporary files. Alternatively start Windows Explorer for example with Win+E, click on address bar at top, enter %TEMP% and hit key RETURN or ENTER to open this directory in Windows Explorer.

The data of the unsaved buffers are lost if there are no Edit.0?? files anymore.

Update: UltraEdit for Windows v25.20 and UEStudio v18.20 and later versions use not anymore the directory %TEMP% by default, but use instead %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\Restore respectively %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\Restore for temporary files.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Feb 16, 2007#5

I just found this old post and wanted to say:

Thank you!

Our PC crashed and I was able to recover my UltraEdit files thanks to the tip to look in the %Temp% folder.

Best Regards,

Sandra

NewbieNewbie

Sep 08, 2015#6

Try in C:\Windows\autorec

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 08, 2015#7

Damian, what are you posting here?
                • The directory autorec is not located in Windows directory. It is located in directory of used INI file which is by default %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit for UltraEdit and %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio for UEStudio. The name of currently used INI file with full path is displayed at bottom of configuration dialog Advanced - Configuration - Application Layout - Advanced.
                • The directory autorec has hidden attribute set like directory %APPDATA%, too. Windows Explorer does by default not display hidden folders. This must be either enabled by a user or the user enters the path to hidden folder in address bar.
                • The directory autorec just contains one or more subfolders with naming scheme %COMPUTERNAME%@%USERNAME%.
                • This subfolder contains 1 or more *.RAC files which are binary files containing information like name of original file with full path and its temporary file containing latest not saved modifications and other data which are not readable for humans.
                So this directory is of no use for anybody than UltraEdit or UEStudio itself.

The temporary files with latest saved modifications are located in %TEMP% (or the temporary files directory added manually to uedit32.ini or uestudio.ini).

Update: UltraEdit for Windows v25.20 and UEStudio v18.20 and later versions use not anymore the directory %TEMP% by default, but use instead %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\Restore respectively %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio\Restore for temporary files.

There should be no %windir%\autorec, except INI file of UltraEdit is located in Windows directory which is not recommended and not the default anymore since more than 10 years simply because this directory is by default write-protected for standard users. Damian, you should really think about moving all configuration files of UltraEdit to the application data directory or any other directory and set environment variable UEINIDIR as system variable to this directory in case of using multiple accounts and you want to use always the same configuration files.

Basic UserBasic User

Feb 10, 2018#8

Mofi wrote:Set environment variable UEINIDIR as system variable to this directory in case of using multiple accounts and you want to use always the same configuration files.
                  This I presume applies only to UltraEdit. Is there a similar environment variable defined for UEStudio? Are there other such environment variables of which you have become aware?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Feb 10, 2018#9

The UltraEdit/UEStudio help page with title INI File Selection and Advanced Settings explains in details the possibilities how UE/UES searches for INI file as more or less also written in sticky UltraEdit INI file location in forum Configuration/INI Settings. There is the environment variable UESINIDIR for UEStudio.

Other environment variables used by UltraEdit/UEStudio on Windows are:
                    1. APPDATA
                    2. SystemRoot
                    3. TEMP and TMP
                      It is interesting that both are used for individual temporary files if both exist, but do have same directory path. Some used library functions prefer TMP directory while the temporary files are created by UltraEdit/UEStudio in TEMP directory.
                    4. windir
                    I'm not aware of any other direct environment variable usage by code of UltraEdit/UEStudio on Windows.