Jumping through the differences or updating one of the compared files does not update the content of the file pane

Jumping through the differences or updating one of the compared files does not update the content of the file pane

NewbieNewbie

11:54 - Aug 19#1

When I text compare 2 files and use F3 or F4 to go to the next or previous diff the content of the left pane doesn't scroll to the difference section, while the right pane is correctly updated (i.e. scrolling to the next/previous diff)
    Also when I want to (partially) merge a difference between the left and right file, one pane scrolls to the bottom of the file, so I'm complete lost where I was in comparing the 2 files
    Happens on Windows 11, UltraCompare 2024.00.0.23 64-bit

Grand MasterGrand Master

18:26 - Aug 19#2

I compared changes.txt of UltraEdit v2024.0 with changes_ues.txt of UEStudio 2024.0 using 64-bit UltraCompare Professional v2024.0.0.23 on Windows 7 x64 and could not reproduce this scrolling behavior. The execution of the commands Next Difference with key F3 and Previous Difference with key F4 results in scrolling both panes to next/previous difference even with Synchronized Vertical Scroll not enabled in menu Window. (I prefer the toolbar/menu mode and not the ribbon mode.) There must be an option used by you which results in scrolling only the active pane which I am currently not aware of.

I can perhaps reproduce the single pane scrolling behavior with your user configuration. Please make a copy of the file uc.ini in the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraCompare on using UltraCompare Professional. Open the copy of uc.ini in UltraEdit and delete all sensitive data like the file/folder histories. Then compress the cleaned copy of uc.ini into a 7-Zip, RAR or ZIP archive file and attach this archive file to your next post. Use the button Full Editor & Preview at the bottom of this forum page to be able to upload the archive file and add it as an attachment. If you want a confidential help on this issue without sharing your UltraCompare configuration public, you need to contact support of UltraEdit, Inc. by email, describe the issue and attach (cleaned) uc.ini and if possible also the two compare text files.

There are two merge modes: the standard block merge and the line mode merge. In toolbar/menu mode the Line Mode Merge can be toggled on/off at top of the menu Merge. In ribbon mode is on last but one ribbon tab Edit in third group Merge the check box option Line mode merge. The activation of the line mode merge makes arrow symbols visible between the two text comparison panes for individual line merges.

It is always possible to select one or more lines in one pane, copy the selection to clipboard with Ctrl+C, set the caret in the other pane where to insert the text, and paste the copied lines (or just strings) from the clipboard with Ctrl+V instead of using any merge command.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

18:08 - Aug 20#3

Attached my uc.ini
        uc_ini.zip (1.45 KiB)   0

Grand MasterGrand Master

16:46 - Aug 21#4

Thank you for the INI file. I renamed my uc.ini, copied your uc.ini into the UltraCompare application data directory with renaming the file to uc.ini, started UltraCompare, compared the two files in the attached ZIP archive file and pressed F3 until last difference seen and F4 until first difference seen and viewed each displayed difference. Both panes scrolled synchronized on using the two commands.

I compared your uc.ini with my uc.ini. There are of course some differences, but none relevant to text comparison behavior and scrolling between the differences.

I compared also your uc.ini after being updated by UltraCompare on my PC after startup, running the text comparison and exiting UC with your original uc.ini in the ZIP file. The only differences I could see are different InitPath1 and InitPath2, automatic correction of path to the wordfiles directory in Language File setting (adjustment of user name), and an automatic change of the application background color as stored with AppBackGrnd in uc.ini at the bottom. There was no magic automatic correction of an important setting.

Please would you extract the two files changes.txt and changes_ues.txt from the attached ZIP file, run a text comparison with these two files and check if both panes are scrolled synchronously on using F3 and F4. If that works as on my PC with your configuration, the issue is caused by the contents of the two compared files. In this case I would need an obfuscated version of both files on which the scrolling issue can be seen too. But if the scrolling is not synchronized with these two text files, I would not have any further idea what could be the reason for the different scrolling behavior and you would need to contact support of UltraEdit, Inc. by email.

Please note that I am just an UltraCompare user and not an employee of UltraEdit, Inc. I could just verify the issue with your text files but cannot do anything else on seeing the same unexpected scrolling behavior with your text files on my PC. The issue on being indeed reproducible by me must be reported by email to support of UltraEdit, Inc.
          changes_ue_ues.zip (78 KiB)   0
          ZIP file with changes.txt and changes_ues.txt from UE/UES 2024.0
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria