Bad display of "Search sidebar" when rather small

Bad display of "Search sidebar" when rather small

Power UserPower User

Mar 16, 2020#1

The sidebar (?) for "search / replace / search in files ..." has problems with line breaks when the size is rather small. Some lines are wrapped, but have a bad line distance. Some lines are not wrapped, so the end is disappearing behind the border of he dialog.

See attachments.
    ue_search_sidebar_1.png (51.3KiB)
    ue_search_sidebar_2.png (50.09KiB)
    UE 26.20.0.74 German / Win 10 x 64 Pro

Grand MasterGrand Master

Mar 16, 2020#2

I think, this display issue cannot be really solved without lots of code. The docked Find and Replace window can be decreased in width less than it should be done on using the advanced options. The check box items and the static text items above edit fields are defined in the resource for a single line display whereby the English text is usually shorter than the German text and much shorter than the French text. Windows wraps the text when the width of an item is less than required to display the text with one line. But the height of the resource item (check box, static text, etc.) is not adapted automatically by Windows as this would mean all vertical positions of the other items below must be adapted also different to what is defined in the resource.

Well, with lots of code it would be possible to make the look of the view completely dynamic by calculating everything from first item in window at top to last item in window at bottom, i.e. the entire view window is "owner drawn" by code in UltraEdit and nothing is done anymore by Windows.

I don't use the docked Find and Replace window as I find it not really useful for my work. I prefer the floating Find and Replace window on which I can see everything fine and which is closed on having started the Find or Replace as I have checked the appropriate option to close the window automatically. The window mode between docked and floating can be changed at any time by double clicking with primary (left) mouse button on title bar of Find and Replace window. I use the toolbar/menu mode and have in my customized toolbar the search box added to always see what is the current search string on pressing F3 or Ctrl+F3 to find next/previous occurrence of search string.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria