How to import ALL UltraEdit settings into UEStudio?

How to import ALL UltraEdit settings into UEStudio?

Paul Medynski

Jan 25, 2006#1

I have UltraEdit 11.10a installed, and I've spent quite a long time getting it setup exactly the way I want it. I recently purchased and installed UEStudio, and to my chagrin, UEStudio didn't import all of my UltraEdit settings. Is there any simple way to get all of the settings scattered amongst the following files imported into UEStudio:

C:\Program Files\UltraEdit\wordfile.txt
     C:\Windows\UEDIT32.INI

And whatever is stored in Windows registry.

Thanks,
    Paul

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 26, 2006#2

That's easy because the files uedit32.ini and uestudio.ini are nearly 100% compatible. UEStudio has some settings which UltraEdit does not have but they are no problem.

First rename your current uestudio.ini. This file should be in your personal application data folder %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio which is a hidden folder because of folder referenced with %APPDATA% is hidden by default. So enable Show Hidden and System folders in Windows Explorer before searching for it or copy and paste the posted path into address bar of Windows Explorer and hit key RETURN to open this folder.

Next copy your uedit32.ini to the directory of uestudio.ini and name it uestudio.ini. Open this uestudio.ini with UltraEdit and adjust following setting according to the value in the original and renamed uestudio.ini.

[Settings]
      Version=

Then correct all path and file specifications in uestudio.ini.

Note: You could use the same wordfile for UltraEdit and UEStudio. Simply do not change the path to the wordfile of UltraEdit in uestudio.ini. UEStudio and UltraEdit have 100% identical wordfiles after installation. But take into consideration that the wordfile is only updated when you update UltraEdit. If you have modified the standard wordfile you should copy it for example to PersonalWordfile.txt and use this wordfile for both programs to avoid problems during updates with your personal wordfile. It's a good advice to compare wordfile.old and wordfile.txt after an update of UltraEdit or UEStudio and check what have changed to probably apply this changes also to your PersonalWordfile.txt.

Save uestudio.ini, close UltraEdit and start UEStudio. UEStudio will automatically add it's special settings which UltraEdit does not support and all other settings should be unchanged.

That's it. In the registry no important settings are stored, if you do not have specified to save all settings in the registry instead of the INI file.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

May 13, 2019#3

Hello

This is an old post that has been somewhat helpful, but I was looking for some up-to-date information on how to import all UE settings into UEStudio. For example the UEStudio.ini file does not exist on my system, but I take it that the latest file is UEStudiou.ini.

I am wanting to import all ultraedit "settings" into UEStudio, such as: 
        • Settings backups done from UE via: Advanced Tab | Backup settings ▼ | Export settings
        • Layout exports from UE done via: Layout Tab | Layout ▼ | Manage layouts | Export/import layout
        • User Customization backups from UE done via: Advanced Tab | Backup settings ▼ | Backup / restore user customizations
        Does anyone know if I can simply re-import all these backups/exports to UEStudio? Would there be anything else that needs to be done?

Thanks in advance.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 13, 2019#4

On first run after installation of UEStudio with directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio not yet existing, but there is existing %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit, UEStudio prompts the user for taking over the settings of UltraEdit to UEStudio. That's like copying the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit to %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UEStudio, renaming the files uedit32u.* or uedit64u.* (32 or 64 bit UltraEdit with Unicode encoded INI file) and adapting the file/folder paths inside the configuration files from UltraEdit to UEStudio.

It is of course possible to do that also manually as described above for very old UltraEdit v11.10a and UEStudio v5.10a.

See also How to transfer / copy / move / migrate configuration settings to a new PC?

It should be also possible to restore the settings backed up before in UltraEdit into UEStudio. I have never done that, but I suppose it works.

Please note that UEStudio has three additional toolbars and additional ribbons which are stored in *.rb0 file. So taking over uedit*.rb0 as uestudiou.rb0 could result in loosing these additional UEStudio toolbars until restoring them by resetting these toolbars to default in toolbar customization dialog of UEStudio. The UEStudio specific ribbon tabs and items should be automatically restored by UEStudio.

Basic UserBasic User

May 16, 2019#5

Great help as always Mofi!

This is what I have done to try and set-up UEStudio, restoring from backups of UltraEdit:

Imported Settings from an UltraEdit backup:
              In UltraEdit:
            1. Advanced Tab | Backup settings ▼ | Export settings
            2. In UEStudio:
            3. Advanced Tab | Backup settings ▼ | Import settings and then selected the backup folder
            4. Restarted UEStudio
            Imported my Layout from an UltraEdit backup:
              In UltraEdit:
            1. Layout Tab | Layout ▼ | Manage layouts | Export/import layout | Export selected layout
            2. In UEStudio:
            3. Layout Tab | Layout ▼ | Manage layouts | Export/import layout | Import layout and selected the uee file backed-up from UltraEdit
            4. Restarted UEStudio
            Imported User Customizations from an UltraEdit backup:
              In UltraEdit:
            1. Advanced Tab | Backup settings ▼ | Backup / restore user customizations
            2. In UEStudio:
            3. Advanced Tab | Backup settings ▼ | Backup / restore user customizations | Restore tab and selected the uec file backed-up from UltraEdit
            4. Restarted UEStudio
            Imported my Theme from an UltraEdit backup:
              In UltraEdit:
            1. Layout Tab | Themes ▼ | Manage themes | Export theme
            2. In UEStudio:
            3. Layout Tab | Themes ▼ | Manage themes | Add existing theme and selected the ue-theme file backed-up from UltraEdit
            4. Restarted UEStudio
            Imported the ribbon by copying uedit64u.rb0 and renaming to UEStudiou.rb0 in the UEStudio folder.

Everything is now functioning as it does in UltraEdit, but alas my custom ribbon in UE is not seen in UES…

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 16, 2019#6

I am not using ribbon mode and so did not know (or forgot it) that ribbon customizations are stored in workspace file uedit32u.in0 or uedit64u.in0 respectively uestudiou.in0. So you need to copy also this file with new name to UEStudio application data directory.

The content of file uestudiou.rb0 does not change on adding a customized ribbon tab. So it looks like it is better to use original uestudiou.rb0 created by UEStudio which is larger than uedit64u.rb0 created by UltraEdit.

Basic UserBasic User

May 17, 2019#7

Thanks Mofi

I changed UEStudio.rb0 back to the original, and copied over uedit64u.in0 to UEStudiou.in0. 
                Now the Advanced tab has disappeared, and the contents of the Advanced tab are now in a new Home tab with some (not all) of my commands appended at the end.

So it seems that restoring your ribbon customizations from UE is impossible...