Interprocess communication?

Interprocess communication?

NewbieNewbie

Jun 24, 2008#1

Does Ultraedit provide any method for interprocess communication? My end game would be having the ability to send Ultraedit some data from another application which it could then process.

If I'm being too vague let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jun 25, 2008#2

I have never tested it but there is the command to run a user tool that you have configured from within a script. The user tool could output the data to stdout and UltraEdit captures that output to the output window or an edit window which you can both further evaluate by the script. The user tool could also write the output into a file with fixed file name which you open from within the script after tool execution. Or the user tool writes the output into the Windows clipboard and the script gets it from there.

But a real communication channel between a script running in UltraEdit and another program is not possible as far as I know.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Power UserPower User

Jun 25, 2008#3

If you're talking about scripting UltraEdit via OLE then no, you can't do that.

As Mofi said, you can write scripts that run within UltraEdit and use them to call out to external applications via User Tools. That's backwards from what you asked for (UltraEdit would "pull" data from an external source rather than having an external source "push" data to it) but it might be close enough for you.

The final option is to write an UltraEdit script (or macro) and invoke it from the command line. See the Command Line Parameters section in the help file for details.