I want to use numberpad keys with Alt to apply templates

I want to use numberpad keys with Alt to apply templates

NewbieNewbie

Apr 24, 2007#1

So I set up some templates and they do work OK when I type Alt-1, say, in the keyboard above the letters, but I usually use the numberpad for numbers and that doesn't do anything.

Is there a setting I can change to fix that?

Version 11.10a+1

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 24, 2007#2

Key 3 on the numeric keypad has a different key code as key 3 on the main keypad.

You have to open the key mapping configuration dialog, scroll down in the list of commands to the commands InsertTemplatex and assign additionally or by replacing existing key code Alt+x the keys Alt+Numeric pad x to the template commands.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

Apr 30, 2007#3

Does the Numpad 3 have a different keycode when Numlock is turned on? I've noticed some programs and games differentiate between them.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 30, 2007#4

Pebblecrusher wrote:Does the Numpad 3 have a different keycode when Numlock is turned on?
          Why have you not simply tried it in the key mapping configuration dialog?

If you press key 3 on the numeric pad with num lock off you will see PGDN and if you press the same key with num lock on you will see Numeric pad 3. Of course the key code changes with num lock on/off or the num lock key would not make sense.

NewbieNewbie

May 01, 2007#5

Alt-keypad is a Windows shortcut for generating characters from decimal ASCII values. For example, click in a document and hit Alt-65 (that is, hold the Alt key whilst hitting 6 then 5 on the keypad) and you'll get a capital A. Enter codes above 128 and you'll probably get various non English characters like ä (132) and ü (129). (Different region settings or encodings may yield different results over 127.) Enter Alt-7 • for a special reward! I think Unicode values are supported too, but I'm not sure.

I'm not sure if a program (like UltraEdit) can capture those keycodes. It may be handled at a lower OS level. (Or maybe in the keyboard hardware itself?) In any case, it would be an unfortunate loss if a program (particularly an editor) did something different with those keystrokes, as many people depend on that feature to generate non English characters in their documents.

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 01, 2007#6

If a user assigns Alt+Numeric pad x to a command then UltraEdit will execute the command and for example Alt+92 cannot be used anymore to enter a backslash. But I think by default there is no Alt+Numeric pad x key assignment. However, a user can change the key mappings to whatever the user wants - remove an existing assignment or create an assignment (except currently for Ctrl+Tab, Ctrl+Shift+Tab and ESC).