Storage location of custom dictionaries

Storage location of custom dictionaries

Basic UserBasic User

17:50 - Aug 17#1

Hello everyone.

I'm getting desperate here.
    I have installed UltraEdit on a new computer/notebook.

So far so good, but:
    I have added a lot of words in the spell checker on the old computer stored in a custom dictionary (German: Wörterbuch).
    Where are they saved?
    I think I've already searched everything, but I can't find anything.
    I would of course like to transfer them instead of having to retype them.

Greetings Frank
    (Translated with DeepL)
    Win11 (64bit) 23H2 - UE 2024.0.0.35 64bit

Grand MasterGrand Master

8:31 - Aug 18#2

Windows Spell Checking API

UltraEdit for Windows ≥ v25.00 and UEStudio ≥ v18.00 use on Windows 8.1 and newer Windows versions like Windows 10 or Windows 11 the Windows Spell Checking API.
      The Windows Spell Checking API is not available on Windows with a version lower than 8.1 like Windows 8 or Windows 7.

The custom words are stored by the Windows Spell Checking API in the file default.dic in the language directories in the directory %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Spelling. This directory with all its language tag subdirectories and files can be copied from one PC to another PC. The language tags are something like en-US or de-DE.

Aspell spell checker

UltraEdit for Windows < v25.00 and UEStudio < v18.00 use on Windows 8.1 and newer Windows versions like Windows 10 or Windows 11 the GNU Aspell spell checker.
      UltraEdit for Windows ≥ v25.00 and < v28.10 and UEStudio ≥ v18.00  and < v21.10 use on Windows 7 and Windows 8 the GNU Aspell spell checker.
      There is no support for spell checking at all on Windows 7 and Windows 8 since UltraEdit for Windows v28.10 and UEStudio v21.10.

The INI  file with fully qualified file name displayed at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Application layout - Advanced contains the section [SpellChecker] with the setting DataDictDir=. This directory contains the Aspell files *.prepl (personal replaces) and *.pws (personal words). The Personal data directory can be configured at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Spell checker - Dictionary directories.

The Aspell *.pws file can be edited also in UltraEdit/UEStudio. Please note the number of words at the end of the first line in the *.pws file and the trailing space at end of the first line which must be kept on editing manually the personal words file in UE/UES. After copying and pasting words line by line into this file and sorting the lines with the words alphabetic with ignoring case (not necessary but recommended), move the caret to the end of the file which should be a new line, i. e. the last line of the file ends with a line termination. Look in the status bar on the line number. Subtract 2 from this line number and edit the number of words in first line with the result. Example: A personal words file with 100 words shows 102 as line number with caret at the end of the file at column 1. Keep the trailing space on first line!

Other custom dictionary files

Here are the locations of custom dictionary *.dic files of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) for completeness:
      • %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Office\Office version number\hexadecimal number\Proofing\RoamingCustom.dic
      • %APPDATA%\Microsoft\UProof\*.dic
      Office version number can be 16.0 or 12.0 or something similar. hexadecimal number can be something like 37d53b5b.
      Two related Microsoft documentation pages:
      Mozilla Firefox stores words added to the custom dictionary in the text file: %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profile name\persdict.dat
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Basic UserBasic User

12:22 - Aug 18#3

Hi Mofi,

I already suspected that it would be you who would put me back on the right track.

Thank you very much.
        The custom words are stored by the Windows Spell Checking API in the file default.dic in the language directories in the directory %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Spelling. This directory with all its subdirectories and files can be copied from one PC to another PC.
        This is exactly how the dictionaries can be moved without having to re-enter them.

Greetings Frank
        (Translated with DeepL)
        Win11 (64bit) 23H2 - UE 2024.0.0.35 64bit