*NIX File Permissions

*NIX File Permissions

regenpfeifer

May 19, 2005#1

I run windows but web program on *nix. I mapped a few directories with samba but every time I edit them with UltraEdit and save them, it resets the file permissions. I have a script that sets it back but it is annoying to have to edit->save->run script->test (repeat). Is there a way to fix this or is it a bug? Please let me know or fix it. It would make everything a lot easier.

-Jesse

Basic UserBasic User

May 19, 2005#2

You can't get rid of all of the permissions issues, but the following settings in your smb.conf file should make things more bearable:

map archive = no
      create mask = 0640
      security mask = 0640
      directory mask = 0750

NewbieNewbie

Jan 03, 2006#3

I've been experiencing the same thing, in the exact situation. UE will reset file permissions when I'm editing files via Samba on my Unix server in Windows.

I think this is because it will edit your temporary file (not the file itself), then when you save your changes, it copies the temp file to replace your real file, eliminating your old file permissions and essentially creating a new file.

However, if you turn of UE using a temporary file, then you still cannot execute a perl script (for example) in your web browser, because it is locked by UE and, therefore, busy. I can't find a way to turn off file locking for reading by other applications (the web browser) when it's open for writing in UE.

I am curious, did you ever receive an e-mail back from support, or solve the problem? I'd like to know if you did!

NewbieNewbie

Sep 08, 2006#4

Has this ever been solved? It's definitively a deal-breaker.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Sep 08, 2006#5

According to the help the option Copy file instead of using rename when creating backup file at Configuration - File Handling - Advanced could be helpful. Don't know if it is really helpful in your situation.
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Sep 08, 2006#6

Mofi wrote:According to the help the option Copy file instead of using rename when creating backup file at Configuration - File Handling - Advanced could be helpful. Don't know if it is really helpful in your situation.
              Yes, that fixed it.

Thank you.