"Set focus to edit window after any Find operation" always checked in UE v24.10.0.24 after startup (fixed)

"Set focus to edit window after any Find operation" always checked in UE v24.10.0.24 after startup (fixed)

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jan 09, 2018#1

Hi.

I'm having an annoying problem with some settings I do.
    If I close UltraEdit and open it again, the adjustment I did is gone and I go back to an older state, previously saved.

Examples:
    I uncheck at Editor display - Formatting setting Auto indent new lines and do my work.
    If I close UltraEdit and come back, Auto indent new lines is again checked.

I uncheck at Search - Miscellaneous setting Set focus to edit window after any Find operation and do my work.
    If I close UltraEdit and come back, Set focus to edit window after any Find operation is again checked.

😡

I opened INI files and try to understand what was happening.
    I could identify those lines that are changing, but the program keep changing them anyway after close and open again.
    How to fix that?

I use UltraEdit Text/Hex Editor (x64) Version 24.10.0.24.

Also, I'd like to know why Alt+8 hotkey won't work for "User template 8".
    Other "User templates" are set to:
    Alt+1 - User template 1
    Alt+2 - User template 2
    and  so on, but it's missing Alt+8.
    Why?

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 10, 2018#2

In Configuration at Application layout - Advanced the INI file location is displayed and the name of the used INI file. The default for 64-bit UE v24.xx is %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit64u.ini. I recommend deleting configuration files from older versions of UltraEdit no longer used like uedit32.* (32-bit UE ANSI encoded) or uedit64.* (64-bit UE ANSI encoded). But do not delete the files uedit64u.* containing configuration for 64-bit UltraEdit version 24.xx Unicode encoded.

Next open in UltraEdit the used INI file as displayed in configuration dialog, insert a space, delete inserted space and save the not really modified file. Does this work? Otherwise the used INI file is write protected either because of read-only attribute set or the current user has not the permissions to modify the file.

UltraEdit does not immediately save all modified configuration settings on closing the configuration with button OK. The settings are immediately applied on running instance, but the modified settings are saved into the INI file only on exit. So be careful on using multiple instances of UltraEdit. The last instance exited determines the configuration settings stored in INI file for all further starts of UltraEdit. So if you have two instances of UE running, change settings in first UltraEdit instance, exit first instance, then later exit second instance, the configuration changes made in first instance are lost as the second instance stores its configuration into the INI file after first instance modified them.

Please make sure the configuration setting Use registry for settings (not INI file) is not checked at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Application layout - Advanced.

The key mappings are stored in file uedit64u.uek in same directory as the used INI file or more precise the use UltraEdit Keyboard mapping file is stored in same directory with same name as used INI file with file extension uek instead of ini. Key mapping can be changed in Configuration including the key assignment Alt+8 for command User Template 8.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jan 10, 2018#3

Mofi wrote:In Configuration at Application layout - Advanced the INI file location is displayed and the name of the used INI file. The default for 64-bit UE v24.xx is %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit\uedit64u.ini. I recommend deleting configuration files from older versions of UltraEdit no longer used like uedit32.* or uedit64.*.
        Done. I found some *.in0, *.uek, *.mb0, *.pb0, *.tb0 and *.rb0 and removed them also.

I realized later that my ribbon settings were gone. But I recovered previous version of *.rb0 and *.tb0 files.
        Next open in UltraEdit the used INI file as displayed in configuration dialog, insert a space, delete inserted space and save the not really modified file. Does this work? Otherwise the used INI file is write protected either because of read-only attribute set or the current user has not the permissions to modify the file
        When I opened uedit64.ini, I got a window saying that "such file had been changed by another application" and asked to reload it.
        I accepted.
        Auto indent new lines came back to unchecked, as I want, but Set focus ... setting is hard to put unchecked. It's always checked, as I don't want.
        UltraEdit does not immediately save all modified configuration settings on closing the configuration with button OK. The settings are immediately applied on running instance, but the modified settings are saved into the INI file only on exit. So be careful on using multiple instances of UltraEdit. The last instance exited determines the configuration settings stored in INI file for all further starts of UltraEdit. So if you have two instances of UE running, change settings in first UltraEdit instance, exit first instance, then later exit second instance, the configuration changes made in first instance are lost as the second instance stores its configuration into the INI file after first instance modified them.
        I don't use multiple instances.
        Please make sure the configuration setting Use registry for settings (not INI file) is not checked at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Application layout - Advanced.
        It's not checked.
        The key mappings are stored in file uedit64u.uek in same directory as the used INI file or more precise the use UltraEdit Keyboard mapping file is stored in same directory with same name as used INI file with file extension uek instead of ini. Key mapping can be changed in Configuration including the key assignment Alt+8 for command InsertTemplate8.
        uedit64.uek is a binary file here. I guess, I cannot edit it.

There is a file called uedit64u.shortcuts.txt after press "Show key mapping in Editor" button (Configuration - Key mapping).
        And inside it I found:

Code: Select all

Alt+0                 User template 0                                       User template 0
        Alt+1                 User template 1                                       User template 1
        Alt+2                 User template 2                                       User template 2
        Alt+3                 User template 3                                       User template 3
        Alt+4                 User template 4                                       User template 4
        Alt+5                 User template 5                                       User template 5
        Alt+6                 User template 6                                       User template 6
        Alt+7                 User template 7                                       User template 7
        Alt+9                 User template 9                                       User template 9
        Note that Alt+8 is missing.

Unfortunately, despite all our efforts, mine and yours, I'm still getting settings returning to undesired state.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 10, 2018#4

I restored now from my personal archives 32-bit UltraEdit 24.10.0.24 to check this issue with the same version of UltraEdit as used by you with the difference on using 32- instead of 64-bit version which should really not matter here.

I renamed the directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\UltraEdit to UltraEditMyConfig and started UE 24.10.0.24 which created UltraEdit new. I closed the welcome window and exited UltraEdit. So now I had the UltraEdit application data directory with all configuration files really used by UE v24.10.0.24 and all settings set to default.
          • templates ... folder with the default smart template files
          • wordfiles ... folder with the default syntax highlighting wordfiles
          • Balanced.in1 ... workspace file for layout Balanced
          • Clean.in1 ... workspace file for layout Clean
          • FTPData.ini ... 0 byte file which I think is not really used anymore, but I'm not sure as not using FTP feature of UE. It is not created if there is already FTPDataU.ini.
          • FTPDataU.ini ... Unicode version of above file with just Ver=8 as content.
          • Lean.in1 ... workspace file for layout Lean
          • Multi-Window.in1 ... workspace file for layout Multi-Window
          • projectsu.lst ... 2 byte file (UTF-16 LE BOM) with list of UE projects/workspaces ever opened in UltraEdit.
          • startup.log ... file created new on each startup of UE to find out what causes longer startup times as usual on some machines. This file does not store configuration settings. This file is not created anymore by UltraEdit v24.20.0.44 and later versions.
          • TAGLISTU.UET ... default tag list file encoded in UTF-16 LE.
          • uedit32u.in0 ... currently used workspace file of 32-bit UltraEdit. File name is derived from used INI file.
          • uedit32u.ini ... configuration settings encoded in UTF-16 LE. File name is derived from name of executable, i.e. uedit32.exe in my case.
          • uedit32u.rb0 ... currently used ribbon customization. File name is derived from used INI file.
          • uedit32u.uek ... currently used key mapping configuration. File name is derived from used INI file.
          Other files are either custom configuration files or files from older versions of UltraEdit, see How to transfer / copy / move / migrate configuration settings to a new PC? for an explanation of older configuration files.

I created a copy of uedit32u.ini with name uedit32u_first_run.ini in attached ZIP file.

Then I started UE v24.10.0.24 once again and unchecked in configuration:
          1. Set focus to edit window after any Find operation at Search - Miscellaneous.
          2. Auto indent new lines at Editor Display - Formatting.
          Then I closed the configuration with button OK resulting in no change of uedit32u.ini. Next I exited UltraEdit and uedit32u.ini was updated. I created a copy with name uedit32u_modified_config.ini in attached ZIP file.

Last I started once again UltraEdit. Setting Set focus to edit window after any Find operation is indeed checked. I opened my personal archive with all hotfix information published public by IDM and looked if this was a known issue. And indeed hotfix information of UE 24.10.0.32 released on 2017-07-20 contained the line:
          • Fixed issue with "Set focus to edit window after any Find operation" setting not remaining disabled
          So this was a known bug of UE 24.10.0.24  which was fixed in next public released version UE 24.10.0.32. If your license legitimates you upgrading to currently latest version of UltraEdit, you should do that. Otherwise you should contact IDM support by email asking for installer executable of 64-Bit English UltraEdit v24.10.0.35 which was the last public released hotfix version of UE 24.10.

The second unchecked setting Auto indent new lines is still unchecked after third start of UltraEdit. I'm not sure why this setting is not correct saved/loaded on your machine. Perhaps the INI file is partly corrupt. The files uedit64.* should not be used anymore by UE v24.10.0.24 in comparison to uedit64u.* which are really used by UE. I would need your INI file with all histories removed and with your user name replaced by a general string for keeping your account name confidential.

By default User template 8 is assigned to key Alt+8 as it can be seen on screenshot user_template8.png in attached ZIP file. So either file uedit64u.uek is corrupt somehow on your machine or you have removed this hotkey in the past, for example on assigning Alt+8 to a script or a macro, perhaps not intentionally, but by mistake. The file uedit64u.uek can be recreated by using button Defaults in Key mapping configuration dialog. In case of other key mappings already changed, it would be better to re-assign Alt+8 to the command User template 8 to solve this issue.

Note: INI file of UltraEdit should be not edited manually in general. When this file is edited manually, it should be done with Notepad while UltraEdit is not running.

Finally I exited UltraEdit, restored my configuration, deleted program files folder of UE v24.10.0.24 and restored program files folder of UE v24.20.0.51.

Update: ZIP attachment with the three files deleted after all problems solved.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jan 10, 2018#5

Mofi wrote:Last I started once again UltraEdit. Setting Set focus to edit window after any Find operation is indeed checked. I opened my personal archive with all hotfix information published public by IDM and looked if this was a known issue. And indeed hotfix information of UE 24.10.0.32 released on 2017-07-20 contained the line:
            Oh, my!
            Very good to know that was not my fault and it's a remaining bug of the program.
            The second unchecked setting Auto indent new lines is still unchecked after third start of UltraEdit. I'm not sure why this setting is not correct saved/loaded on your machine. Perhaps the INI file is partly corrupt. The files uedit64.* should not be used anymore by UE v24.10.0.24 in comparison to uedit64u.* which are really used by UE. I would need your INI file with all histories removed and with your user name replaced by a general string for keeping your account name confidential.
            No, that issue is already solved. Auto indent now respects saved settings after that "space and delete" trick you'd taught to us.
            By default User template 8 is assigned to key Alt+8 as it can be seen on screenshot user_template8.png in attached ZIP file. So either file uedit64u.uek is corrupt somehow on your machine or you have removed this hotkey in the past, for example on assigning Alt+8 to a script or a macro, perhaps not intentionally, but by mistake. The file uedit64u.uek can be recreated by using button Defaults in Key mapping configuration dialog. In case of other key mappings already changed, it would be better to re-assign Alt+8 to the command User template 8 to solve this issue.
            Finally, the last question:
            You're right: my uedit64u.uek was corrupted.
            I deleted it and program recreated a new one without that error.
            Note: INI file of UltraEdit should be not edited manually in general. When this file is edited manually, it should be done with Notepad while UltraEdit is not running.
            Good to know one more trick.

Once again, thank you very much for your excellent guidance.
            Problem fully solved.