Missing commands in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menu (solved)

Missing commands in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menu (solved)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 19, 2018#1

Gabarito wrote in post Copy filtered lines to clipboard via macro:
    Sorry, I just saw that recommendation about ribbon tab Edit - Delete all hidden lines. I always use traditional menu and it looks like there are too many features only on ribbon mode thus I'm not aware of them.
    There should be no difference between any of the three user interface modes. All commands available in ribbon mode are (should be) also available in toolbar/menu mode with contemporary or traditional menus with the exception to open all or some selected files from recently opened/closed files list. In some versions a few commands are not available in all three user interface modes. But whenever I encountered a missing command in one UI mode and reported it, IDM fixed that with next released (major) version.

In toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus open in menu Edit the submenu Delete and and click on Delete all hidden lines.

Well, it is also possible to use this command on current file with code folded lines, copy the remaining lines with Ctrl+A and Ctrl+C and undo the deletion of the hidden lines with Ctrl+Z which of course results in getting previously hidden lines again displayed as folding was discarded with deleting the lines (temporarily).

There is no command to select or copy just all non hidden lines in currently latest UltraEdit for Windows v25.00.0.68.

But it is possible with Enable multi-caret editing checked at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Editor display - Cursor / caret as by default to select multiple lines at different positions in file and copy them with Ctrl+C to clipboard. Hold left or right Ctrl while selecting just the displayed lines from start to end of each displayed line to copy next just those lines at different positions in file. But selecting manually each displayed line without the hidden lines between is not very handy.
    Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Apr 19, 2018#2

As usual, excellent!

Tip for CTRL+Z I already know, but I'd like to avoid it to do not touch/modify the file.
      Tip for Enable multi-caret editing is better and I already read about that, but had not tested yet.
      And it works!
      And I will adopt it for using.

You are right about Delete all hidden lines. Indeed, there is such entry on traditional menu.
      But, please, point me where I find JSON formatter and XML convert to CR/LFs, Astyle reformat menu entries because I could not find them on traditional menu.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 20, 2018#3

In traditional menu Format is the menu item XML convert to CR/LFs.

The Artistic Style Formatter command was never in a menu in an UltraEdit for Windows version prior 23.00 and that has not changed. Many commands are in toolbars/menu mode just available in one of the toolbars to avoid to many main menus and too large menus (for lower screen resolutions). The difference to UE < v23.00 is that now by default only the Main toolbar is visible after switching from ribbon mode to toolbar/menu mode. But the other toolbars still exist. Make them visible via View - Views/lists - Toolbars (traditional menu) or Layout - Toolbars (contemporary menus) or by right clicking on a toolbar, left clicking on context menu item Customize..., switching to tab Toolbars and checking/unchecking the available toolbars. The toolbar Tools has as last but one item Artistic Style.

View - Views/lists contains JSON manager to show/hide this view. The context menu of JSON manager view has the menu items Format document and Compress document. I reported on 2018-03-26 missing Reformat JSON and Compress JSON menu items in traditional menu mode with suggesting to add them together with JSON manager into a submenu JSON in menu Format and received a few days later the email to verify the fix of this issues with a private user verification build. UE v25.00.0.68 public released on 2018-04-05 has the JSON submenu (third item from top) in traditional menu Format and of course in just released UES v18.00.

I reported also on 2018-03-26 that it is not possible to run active UltraEdit script file on using contemporary menus because of a missing command while it is possible to run active script on using ribbon mode by clicking on ribbon tab Advanced on item Play script and on using traditional menus by clicking on menu item Run active script available in menu Scripting on active file being a *.js file. This issue was fixed two weeks later with a command Play script in contemporary menu Advanced in addition to submenu Play script in private user verification build UE v25.00.0.70 and of course in just released UES v18.00.

Finally I reported small differences on naming of three column mode related menu items in contemporary menu in comparison to ribbon and traditional menus mode also on 2018-03-26 which were fixed with private user verification build UE v25.00.0.72 and of course in just released UES v18.00.

Apr 20, 2018#4

Good tip about make toolbars visible via View - Views/lists - Toolbars.
          Too many buttons that I was not aware of.

Why is not possible to customize a button to Reformat JSON while in traditional menus?
          If I try to customize toolbar, there is no Reformat JSON button in All Commands. I'm not implying JSON Manager.
          But if I was in ribbon mode, I can create Reformat JSON button using customize action, which is named JSON formatter.

Thank you for your intervention over IDM to better display menus layout.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 20, 2018#5

I can see with 32-bit English UE v25.00.0.68 in category All commands the commands Compress JSON and Reformart JSON in alphabetically sorted list of commands after opening toolbar customization dialog. Both commands are also in category Format on opening the toolbar customization dialog with traditional menus active and in category Coding on opening the toolbar customization dialog with contemporary menus active.

Please note that the commands are listed alphabetically sorted on having category All commands selected, but are listed in order as in menu on having any other category (= menu) selected. Hint: On knowing first letter of a command (menu item name or displayed tooltip), hit the key of this letter until either the searched command is found and selected in commands list or the first found command starting with pressed key is selected again because of command not found in active commands list.

Apr 20, 2018#6

I know that is a small importance subject and I'm embarrassed for stealing your time with it, but at 64-bit English UE v24.20.0.62 there is no such entries:
              json1.png (30.85KiB)

json2.png (32.83KiB)

Red arrows points where they were supposed to be in alphabetical order.

Also, at category Format there is none of them.

But now I know how to create those buttons: change to contemporary menu, create buttons and change back to traditional menu.
              Problem solved!

Thanks.
              icon13.gif (334Bytes)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 21, 2018#7

Yes, adding the commands Compress JSON and Reformat JSON to a toolbar using temporarily contemporary menus is a workaround for getting those two commands into a toolbar on using traditional menus on using UltraEdit < v25.00.0.68 on which those two commands were added also to traditional menus.