UltraEdit + Samba - on save : "File changed, reload file?"

UltraEdit + Samba - on save : "File changed, reload file?"

NewbieNewbie

Nov 22, 2018#1

This started a few weeks ago.
    I've not had this problem before, and have used UltraEdit for over 10 years.
    The files I edit is on an Ubuntu server, on a Samba share.

All of a sudden, when I save a file and move to another file to edit it, the file changed dialog pops up.
    If I choose to reload, the undo history is gone. (And it is annoying.)

Is this an UltraEdit issue or a Samba issue?
    And if anyone knows: how do I fix it? :)

The dialog window with title UltraEdit - File changed, reload file? shows:

X:\path to file\parser.php has been changed by another application.
    Do you want to reload it?
    Compare changes in UltraCompare
    Yes No Yes to All No to All
    [ ] Don't show this dialog again for this session

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 22, 2018#2

It is an issue with Samba or the Ubuntu server. I suggest to open Advanced - Settings or Configuration - File handling - Advanced experiment with the settings:
      • Delete original file before saving the file
      • Copy file instead of using rename when creating backup file
      • Always create new file when copying to/from temporary file
      First, I suggest to check the second setting and then try what happens on saving a file opened from Ubuntu server via Samba, modify the file, save it, switch to another application and back to UltraEdit which always triggers file change detection for all opened files by default.

Second, on still getting the file changed message prompt with second option checked, check the third option and redo the steps.

Third, check first option and redo the steps.

Last, the file change detection feature can be also disabled completely if not really needed. Open Advanced - Settings or Configuration - File handling - File change detection and select Disable for File change detection.

It is possible on Windows to use free Sysinternals Process Monitor to find out which of the standard file information changes between finished saving of file and next status query by UltraEdit resulting in the file change prompt in case of you are really interested in the reason.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Nov 23, 2018#3

Thanks for the reply.
        Do you know if there is any setting in Samba that would make life easier?

Just tried your solution. It looks like checking the second option worked :)
        Thank you :)
        (I am still interested in any setting in Samba that might help.)

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 23, 2018#4

I use only Windows computers with Samba not installed on any of them. So I can't suggest something related to Samba or Ubuntu file management.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 30, 2018#5

I was a bit quick there. Still having the same issue. Annoying. Thanks for the help though.
            Still trying. I will try to remember to post solution if I find it.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 30, 2018#6

One solution is disabling file change detection feature in UltraEdit. You don't need this feature if you never have files opened in UltraEdit which are at the same time modified by other applications.

NewbieNewbie

Nov 30, 2018#7

True. And I have considered it. 
                But there is times when this feature has been very practical, so I hope I'll find the solution someday.. :)

Basic UserBasic User

May 17, 2020#8

I have the same issue here.
                  How does UltraEdit detect a file change?

Grand MasterGrand Master

May 17, 2020#9

UltraEdit stores in memory for each file the general file data which can be quickly read from file system at any time: name, size, last modification time, attributes. These general file data in memory are compared with file data read from file system whenever file change detection is triggered to detect a file change done by another application on the file while opened in UltraEdit.

Please note that many applications read contents of a file and write back the file contents without having changed anything at all. So the last modification date of the file changes although nothing on file contents changed at all.