Search/replace bug in UltraEdit 21.10.0.1032

Search/replace bug in UltraEdit 21.10.0.1032

6
NewbieNewbie
6

    Jul 02, 2014#1

    Sometimes, when you select some text and Ctrl+R to replace, the selected text is not copied to the "find what" text area in the search/replace dialog.

    How to reproduce:
    1. Open a blank file.
    2. Type:
      show_row($line);
    3. Select "line" and Ctrl+R to open search/replace dialog. "line" will be in the "find what" text area.
    4. Select "show_row" and Ctrl+R. "line" will still be in the "find what" text area, instead of "show_row".
    5. Select "show_ro" or "show_row(" and Ctrl+R. The selected text will be in the "find what" text area.

    6,603547
    Grand MasterGrand Master
    6,603547

      Jul 02, 2014#2

      I cannot reproduce that problem with UE v21.10.0.1032 on Windows XP SP3 x86 using Windows Classic desktop theme and also UE Classic theme, whether with an ASCII nor with a Unicode file (UTF-8), whether with default nor with my search settings, whether with floating nor with docked Find/Replace windows.

      This problem occurs perhaps only under special conditions. I suggest to rename directory UltraEdit in directory %APPDATA%\IDMComp\ (copy to address bar and hit RETURN to open) while no instance of UltraEdit is running for example to my_UltraEdit. Next start UltraEdit which creates the directory UltraEdit again with all settings set to default. Try to reproduce the problem now.

      Is it still reproducible?

      Yes, then report the issue to IDM support by email explaining what is the problem using default settings and which OS with which desktop and which UE theme you are using.

      But if the problem is not reproducible anymore, exit UltraEdit, delete just created directory UltraEdit, rename my_UltraEdit back to UltraEdit, start UltraEdit and try to reproduce the problem again.

      Is it reproducible with your settings?

      Yes, than report the issue to IDM support by email explaining what is the problem which OS with which desktop and which UE theme you are using and attach additionally your uedit32.ini as something in this file is perhaps responsible for the problem.

      Last, use button Clear History at Advanced - Configuration - Toolbars / Menus - Miscellaneous and check if the problem can be reproduced again.

      Note: If the entire search string is selected, the keys DOWN ARROW and UP ARROW can be used to scroll through search/replace string history without using the history button.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

      6
      NewbieNewbie
      6

        Jul 02, 2014#3

        Thank you for your reply.

        This bug is hard to reproduce. It doesn't always happen. Sometimes it stars happening after a while, and if I close and reopen Ultraedit it goes away.

        I guess it is somehow related to the bracket matching highlight thing, since it only happens if the cursor is between a letter and the opening parenthesis. If I select one more char or one less char, it works fine.

        2362
        MasterMaster
        2362

          Jul 02, 2014#4

          I have tried to reproduce this as well, to no avail. I simply cannot get the bug to show for me as you have.

          Mofi has some good advice in his post. Best of luck to you with it.
          “Don’t document the problem, fix it.” – Atli Björgvin Oddsson

          71
          NewbieNewbie
          71

            Jul 10, 2014#5

            I had seen this behavior somewhat recently, but found that closing the find dialog in between was a workaround. I had assumed it was an intentional change, since there were so many changes to search. I can't repro now, so maybe the most recent update fixed it again.

            6
            NewbieNewbie
            6

              Jul 11, 2014#6

              This issue is still present in version 21.20.0.1004. Unfortunately I don't have a procedure to reproduce it. It seems random, and we all know that these random bugs are very hard to fix.

              One additional thing I noticed is that when the selected text is not present in the search box, pressing the up arrow will show the text I selected. So it seems that the selected text is added to the history of searches, but it is not the current item when the dialog opens.