How can I add space before capital letters using a regular expression?

How can I add space before capital letters using a regular expression?

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 30, 2019#1

Hi,

I have spent a good 3 days to find out a way to do this and started to have a headache. lol

I want to add space before capital letters using a Perl regex or JavaScript. (I prefer Perl.)

For example, AbcdeFghiJklmnoPqrstuvwXyz ---> Abcde Fghi Jklmno Pqrstuvw Xyz.

How can I do this?

Also, how can I select a portion of the string starting with a capital letter, not ending with a capital letter.

For instance, how can I select Abcde in the string?

[:upper:].+(?![:upper:]) , [A-Z].+(?![A-Z]) and [\p{Lu}].+(?!\p{Lu}) didn't work.

I am just wondering why the 3 regular expressions above don't work.

I also tried adding the non-greedy operator ? at the end of the 3 regular expressions above.

I think I can do something if I can select any portion of the string starting with a capital letter, not ending with a capital letter.

Thank you very much.

MasterMaster

Jan 30, 2019#2

Find what: ([[:upper:]])

or  (?-i)([A-Z])

or (?-i)(\p{Lu})

Replace with:  $1 (There is space before $)

Find what: [[:upper:]][[:lower:]]*

or               (?-i)\p{Lu}\p{Ll}*

or               (?-i)[A-Z][a-z]*

See also Perl Regular Expression Syntax.
      It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 30, 2019#3

It is also possible to use (?<!\s)([A-Z]) and replace string being a space and $1 or \1 and option Match case is checked which is very important as otherwise [A-Z] is equal [A-Za-z]. The lookbehind before the capturing group prevents inserting a space on character left to upper case ASCII letter is already a whitespace character like space, horizontal tab, line-feed, etc.

(?-i) at beginning of a search expression as written by Ovg disables case-insensitivity defined usually with option Match case. In other words with (?-i) at beginning of a search expression the find option Match case is not effective anymore.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

MasterMaster

Jan 30, 2019#4

Or you can use this in case there are more adjacent capital letters :)

F: (?-i)(?<![A-Z\s])([A-Z]+)
          R: <space>\1

BTW a little off-topic - UltraEdit version 26.00 uses Boost Perl regular expression library version 1.68. And IDM implemented almost all missing features (backtracking control verbs, named groups in replace, ...). Very nice :)

Basic UserBasic User

Jan 30, 2019#5

Thank you so much Ovg, Mofi, and fleggy.

I should have checked the match case box. 

Ah~~```... My 3 days... 

When will my ignorance go away? lol