How to select all text in search box in the toolbar on double click?

How to select all text in search box in the toolbar on double click?

Nov 07, 2021#1

UE v 26.

How to select all the text in the search box when I double click it?

Previously I was able to select all the text, but now it just seems to select part of the text.

For example:
    search_box_toolbar.png (1.34KiB)
    search box in toolbar

If I double click any of the words (tab or icon or image) here it just selects that word. Previously UE used to select the entire text. Is there a way I can set it to select all of the text in search box on double click?

Thank you.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 07, 2021#2

There is selected by default by UltraEdit for Windows up to version 22.20.0.49 the entire last search string on clicking with primary (left) pointing device (mouse) button on the search box in the toolbar to set the input focus to the toolbar. That makes it possible to immediately enter a new search string.

The behavior changed with UE v23.00.0.42 because of the change to a different GUI library for the support of the ribbon interface which was introduced with UE v23.00. Now clicking once on the search box in the toolbar results in setting the input focus to the search box and positioning the caret inside the last search string at clicked position without the selection of the entire last used search string. This change is caused by the different GUI library.

There is no configuration option to change the initial behavior on search box getting the input focus as far as I know. So there must be selected the entire last search string with the pointing device or by pressing Ctrl+A when search box has the input focus.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Nov 07, 2021#3

Your post reminded me of the other part of this problem -- previously clicking in the search box automatically selected all the text it contains. This makes more sense because if a user is clicking in there it's probably because they intend to either a) paste from clipboard, or b) type the text they want to search for. Now a user has to click in there, clear the box first and *then* paste or type the search term.

That's a pity, it was much more user friendly with the old behaviour.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Nov 07, 2021#4

Yes, I agree. It is more handy if the last search string is selected automatically on setting input focus to the search box. I have the search box in my toolbar, but just for seeing the last search string to know it on pressing F3 (find next) or Ctrl+F3 (find previous). I don't use the search box for starting a new search.

I suggest to send an enhancement request email to UltraEdit support for an automatic selection of the last search string on search box gets the input focus.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Nov 07, 2021#5

It's a small thing yet indicative of a larger problem in software development...something that was previously user friendly and well designed is later transformed into something non-user friendly and less useful, but we're told it's progress. Seems to happen all the time nowadays.