syntax highlighting on a new file

syntax highlighting on a new file

NewbieNewbie

Dec 08, 2005#1

Hi all,

I find it very annoying that there is no possibility to specify a "default" highlighting language. By default, i mean a highlighting when the file is not saved yet (no known extension).

I work a lot with templates and i want my templates to be syntax highlighted when i insert them. I do have to enable this manually all the time......

regards,
    Geert

Basic UserBasic User

Dec 08, 2005#2

Hi

Not sure which version you are using but in 11.20a
      you can view an unsaved file with syntax highlighting by using View->View As(Highlighting File Type)->

and then choose which type you want your unsaved file to be viewed as

NewbieNewbie

Dec 08, 2005#3

Yes, indeed,

BUT you always have to manually choose that option. I want to specify a default highlighting. So that the file gets colored without having to specify EVERY TIME View->View As(Highlighting File Type)->Language x

By default, it is now: No coloring.

Dec 08, 2005#4

PS. I am using version 10.20c
          If this is possible in a higher version, please let me know. Time to upgrade :-)

MasterMaster

Dec 08, 2005#5

Hi guys,

try this in your wordfile in your default language:

File Extensions = *

And .. Here we go !

rds Bego :D
            Normally using all newest english version incl. each hotfix. Win 10 64 bit

Grand MasterGrand Master

Dec 08, 2005#6

The * as file extension in the wordfile for default highlighting also works in older versions of UltraEdit. It's not necessary, that it is the only file extension for a language setting. It must be only the last one.

Example: html language as default for unknown files:

File Extensions = HTM HTML SHTML HTT HTX CFM JSP PHP PHTML ASP *

Since UE v12.20 it is possible to configure in the syntax highlighting dialog which language should be used by default for highlighting new unsaved files.
              Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria