Spell Checking and Syntax Highlight

Spell Checking and Syntax Highlight

Power UserPower User

19:15 - 7 days ago#1

I'm trying to better configure the spell checker when I have syntax highlighting in the text.
    I usually use the Ruby language to display ordinary TXT files.

The first line of the language file (ruby.uew) is:

Code: Select all

/L12"Ruby" RUBY_LANG Line Comment = # Block Comment On = =begin Block Comment Off = =end String Chars = "' Escape Char = \ EnableSpellasYouType File Extensions = RB RBW TXT LOG
    I also set it up so that the check is done while I type.
    It works well and shows the words that have been typed incorrectly.

However, in an existing text of a recent opened file, the red line underlining the previously wrong words typed does not appear.
    If there are already misspelled words, they are not highlighted. Only new words that are typed will be monitored for correction.

But if I disable the syntax highlight, wrong words already typed appear underlined, as desired and expected.

1 - How to have spell checking underlining wrong words, using syntax highlight, for previous incorrect typed words?
    2 - And how to apply spell checking (Ctrl+K) starting from cursor position and forward, not from the top of the file?
    3 - Is there a way to assign hotkey to action of change dictionary (or toggle between two), instead of the long way of use the mouse to go to Advanced/Configuration?

UltraEdit 64 bits 25.20.0.88 here.

Thanks.

Grand MasterGrand Master

9:53 - 6 days ago#2

Gabarito wrote:1 - How to have spell checking underlining wrong words, using syntax highlight, for previous incorrect typed words?
      I noticed on enabling/disabling spell as you type by hotkey that it is necessary to scroll up/down to get the display of the text with/without red dashed lines for unknown/misspelled words.

The highlighting of unknown/misspelled words work fine in C/C++ files with EnableSpellasYouType in the syntax highlighting wordfile with UltraEdit v2024.1.0.32.

What is configured at Advanced - Settings or Configuration - Spell checker - Filter on using Ruby syntax highlighting for ordinary text files? Is the setting For syntax files, only spell check checked and if yes, is selected the option Full text?
      Gabarito wrote:2 - And how to apply spell checking (Ctrl+K) starting from cursor position and forward, not from the top of the file?
      The spell check command makes the spell check always on the entire file on nothing is selected in the active file. There is no option to do the spell check only from current position of the text cursor to bottom of file. It is possible with UltraEdit v2024.1.0.32 (v31.1.0.32) to select everything from caret position to end of file with Ctrl+Shift+End and run now the spell check command. In this case is spell checked just the selected text although the display of the selection is turned off after having found first unknown/misspelled word.
      Gabarito wrote:Is there a way to assign hotkey to action of change dictionary (or toggle between two), instead of the long way of use the mouse to go to Advanced/Configuration?
      The dictionary can be selected only in the Dictionary configuration dialog window. There are no commands to select dictionaries by key or with a click on a symbol on a ribbon tab or a toolbar.

Please note that there have been several spell check improvements and fixes since UltraEdit version 25.20.0.88.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Power UserPower User

11:57 - 6 days ago#3

Mofi wrote:
        9:53 - 6 days ago
        Gabarito wrote:1 - How to have spell checking underlining wrong words, using syntax highlight, for previous incorrect typed words?
        After toggle Advanced - Configuration - Spell checker - Filter, all text already typed was checked.
        Solved.

Mofi wrote:
        Gabarito wrote:2 - And how to apply spell checking (Ctrl+K) starting from cursor position and forward, not from the top of the file?
        It is possible with UltraEdit v2024.1.0.32 (v31.1.0.32) to select everything from caret position to end of file with Ctrl+Shift+End and run now the spell check command.
        Because you mentioned selecting text, I found that spell checking works fine from the cursor position and ahead if I select a portion of the text.
        Solved.

Mofi wrote:
        Gabarito wrote:Is there a way to assign hotkey to action of change dictionary (or toggle between two), instead of the long way of use the mouse to go to Advanced/Configuration?
        The dictionary can be selected only in the Dictionary configuration dialog window. There are no commands to select dictionaries by key or with a click on a symbol on a ribbon tab or a toolbar.
        That's fine.
        Solved too.

13:08 - 6 days ago#4

I almost forgot to ask: is it possible to integrate the Microsoft Word dictionary into UltraEdit?

In the version I use, the Word personal dictionary consists of a file, "custom.dic", which is just a list of words in plain text.

The main dictionary used by UltraEdit is a binary file, with the extension ".rws", depending on the language.

The personal dictionary is a ".pws" file in plain text.

Is it possible to do something to use at least the Word personal dictionary in UltraEdit?

Grand MasterGrand Master

18:52 - 6 days ago#5

The Aspell dictionaries are compiled and cannot be edited in a text editor.

The custom dictionaries can be edited in UltraEdit. See the topic: Storage location of custom dictionaries
            Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria