VS.NET 2003?

VS.NET 2003?

NewbieNewbie

Jul 31, 2005#1

Has anyone successfully compiled a C program w/UEstudio, using VS.NET 2003?? First I had an error where it couldn't find CL.EXE, so I tried putting my VS directory in the Windows PATH env variable (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\bin), but now it runs and says 0 errors and produces no EXE file. This is just a simple hello world application.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Aug 07, 2005#2

I've been able to build simple applications with the MSVC++ Toolkit and the Borland free command-line C++ compiler. Since the MSVC++ compilers selectable in UEStudio should be compatible to the .NET commercial version, there is probably something wrong with the environment variables.

At any rate, if you have chosen one of the Microsoft compilers in UEStudio, it should be able to find CL.EXE. Looks like you have gotten that far -- are you sure that no EXE was generated? Might want to do a File->Search in Windows for that file perhaps it was stored in a place you didn't expect to find it in...

Aug 07, 2005#3

BTW, it always helps to capture the commands used to compile and link your application in the output window. This is accessible from the "Advanced Build Options" menu item under the "Build" menu.

ben
        ben

Sep 09, 2005#4

I have a problem converting a large project from visual studio, in that the define switches dont seem to port accross and some of the library include paths and application build order differs but its a nightmare trying to re-order everything. Has anyone come accross this and if so can you suggest a solution ?

typeseven
          typeseven

Sep 11, 2005#5

I need to be able to define my own paths & directories for the Microsoft Visual C/C++ products as well. I have several MS compilers installed (16-bit, VC6, VC7.1 and VC8 beta) and I have no definite set of environment variables. In my CLI/make setup everything is selectable by defining a variable but in UEStudio the program tries to be "smarter" than me and tells me that the MS products are configured "automatically" with no option to override. I've been fiddling with compiler configurations, [Environment] settings, but that doesn't make a difference so far. CL not found. :(

/d

typeseven
            typeseven

Sep 11, 2005#6

I've done some more experiments with changing the "Cmd0" setting in the [.C] section to point to the compiler of choice explicitly (MSVC 2003, Win32 console app).

First it didn't work since the UEStudio config parser seems to have troubles with spaces in filenames and doesn't like single or double quotes around them either; I fixed that with a symlink (JUNCTION) and now I no longer get the "CL not found" error, but simply "0 errors", no matter what blatant error I type in the sourcefile.

Code: Select all

[.C]
              Cmd0 = C:\msvc\bin\CL /nologo $(COPT) $R /c $I

FYI:

Code: Select all

[C:\]c:\msvc\bin\cl
              Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 13.10.3077 for 80x86
              Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1984-2002. All rights reserved.

usage: cl [ option... ] filename... [ /link linkoption... ]
              What am I missing here?

/d

saiwa
              saiwa

Nov 13, 2005#7

You have to specify your environment in details. Try this:

[Environment]

MSVSINSTALLDIR=C:\Your Path\MICROS~1.NET
                SDKINSTALLDIR=C:\Your Path\MIC977~1
                NETSDKINSTALLDIR=C:\Your Path\MICROS~1.NET\SDK\v1.1
                MSVCDir=$(MSVSINSTALLDIR)\Vc7
                SDKDir=$(SDKINSTALLDIR)
                NETDir=$(NETSDKINSTALLDIR)
                PATH = $(MSVSINSTALLDIR);$(MSVCDir);$(MSVCDir)\BIN;$(MSVSINSTALLDIR)\Common7\IDE;$(MSVSINSTALLDIR)\Common7\Tools;$(MSVSINSTALLDIR)\Common7\Tools\bin;$(SDKDir)\bin;$(NETDir)\bin;%PATH%
                INCLUDE=$(MSVCDir)\INCLUDE;$(MSVCDir)\atlmfc\include;$(SDKDir)\include;$(NETDir)\include;$(Additional Include Directories);%INCLUDE%
                LIB = $(MSVCDir)\LIB;$(MSVCDir)\atlmfc\lib;$(SDKDir)\lib;$(NETDir)\lib;%LIB%

Now everything should work.

P.S.:
                MICROS~1.NET = VS.NET installation folder
                MIC977~1 = = PSDK installation folder (remove SDKINSTALLDIR if you don't use it)

bye, saiwa

saiwa
                saiwa

Nov 13, 2005#8

No need to manually adjust settings :D. I just discovered the compiler to use: Microsoft .NET -> C++
                  Choose version 7.1 and everything is just fine.

bye, saiwa