What are the elements in UltraEdit window with colors defined by Windows and not by UltraEdit theme?

What are the elements in UltraEdit window with colors defined by Windows and not by UltraEdit theme?

NewbieNewbie

Apr 09, 2019#1

First of all I like the option to create own themes and the possibilities are very extensive. By talking about extensiveness I do have some questions:
    1. How can I address the not styled areas shown in my screenshot with red arrows? I have searched all options up and down but was not able to add my preferred color to it.
    2. Is there any way to set the scrollbar colors as well?
    3. Can we set a window header bar color (green arrow in my screenshot)? I know you use the system default color, but maybe there could be a more customizable way?
    Thank you for your time.
    ueshot001.png (69.85KiB)
    Screenshot of missing themeable areas

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 10, 2019#2

I used UltraEdit for Windows v26.00.0.62 with UltraEdit theme Slate running on Windows 7 with a customized Windows Classic theme to find out which colors of elements in UltraEdit window are defined by Windows and not by UltraEdit theme.

Please refer to attached image for the list below listing Windows 7 theme settings and which elements they control in UltraEdit window:
      • ActiveTitle and GradientActiveTitle (Active Title Bar) is used for background color of main application window title bar on being active window.
      • InactiveTitle and GradientInactiveTitle  (Inactive Title Bar) is used for background color of main application window title bar on being an inactive window.
      • ActiveBorder (Active Window Border) is used for thin third frame of main application window on being active window.
      • Inactive Window Border (InactiveBorder) is used for thin third frame of main application window on being an inactive window.
      • ButtonFace is used for inner rectangle of element at bottom of Function List view, background color of active list item in upper and lower pane of Explorer tab of File View view when this view does not have input focus, fourth frame of main application window, bottom border of title bar of main application window, background color of main symbols (minimize, maximize/restore, close) on main application window title bar.
      • ButtonShadow is used for frame of boxes in status bar, dots of window resize symbol at bottom edge corner of main application window, bottom and right border of second frame of main application window, bottom and left border of inner frame of main symbols (minimize, maximize/restore, close) on main application window title bar, top border of element at bottom of Function List view.
      • GrayText (Disabled Item) is used for [+] and [-] symbols and the dotted lines around in tree list of Explorer tab of File View view and for disabled menu items.
      • ButtonHilight is used for second column of toolbar dots on left side of each toolbar, background color of split button icon on Explorer tab of File View view, bottom thin line between upper and lower pane on Explorer tab of File View view, thin bottom and right border of element at bottom of Function List view, top and left border of second frame of main application window, top and left border of outer frame of main symbols (minimize, maximize/restore, close) on main application window title bar.
      • ButtonDkShadow is used for bottom and right border of first frame of main application window, bottom and right border of outer frame of main symbols (minimize, maximize/restore, close) on main application window title bar.
      • ButtonLight is used for top and left border of first frame of main application window, top and left border of inner frame of main symbols (minimize, maximize/restore, close) on main application window title bar.
      This list is not be entitled to completeness. I have done no tests with Windows XP style or Windows Aero on Windows 7 nor any tests with Windows 10.

windows_colors_in_ultraedit_window.png (70.18KiB)
      Windows colors in window of UltraEdit 26.00.0.62 on Windows 7 with a customized Windows Classic desktop theme

Background color of scroll bars is defined by background color of Ruler, line number column on tab Editor in Manage Themes dialog of UltraEdit.

The colors of the elements on scroll bars are derived from the background color of the scroll bars. It is not possible to control the colors of the elements on scroll bars with any color setting.

The main application window frames and styles and the title bar look cannot be customized within UltraEdit. Those elements of main application window are controlled completely by Windows.

The frames and their styles and the look of the title bar of dockable document windows not being displayed maximized are controlled by same Windows theme settings as the main application window. The attached image does not show that because of using not dockable file tabs.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

Apr 22, 2019#3

First of all: thank you for your long response and descriptions which I really appreciate. Thank you.

My theme files do look different - totally. They are XML and not called .theme but .ue-theme and I am running Windows 10 with UE 26.00.0.72
        The main application window frames and styles and the title bar look cannot be customized within UltraEdit. Those elements of main application window are controlled completely by Windows.
        And how do applications like FireFox, Thunderbird, etc. do this? You can of course set colors for your own Windows - UltraEdit just do not do it (sadly because a glowing white header is breaking the theme). Could you send me your customized test theme? I took a screenshot, grabbed the color (ButtonFace in your example) but the hex code is not inside my theme.

I am a bit curious and would like to hear some from IDM in a reply here (if they dare to read their boards).

Grand MasterGrand Master

Apr 23, 2019#4

There is a misunderstanding. You asked which UltraEdit theme items control the colors of the items in your screenshot. I found out that these elements and some others are not controlled by code of UltraEdit and therefore not by UltraEdit theme settings, but by theme settings of Windows. The theme file in my screenshot is a Windows 7 theme file showing the items which control the colors in UltraEdit window not controlled by UltraEdit theme. In other words it is not possible at the moment with UltraEdit for Windows v26.00.0.72 to customize the colors of the elements shown in my screenshots and marked with an arrow in your screenshot.

I have also not written that it is not possible with extra program code to control the look of main application window. I have just written that the UltraEdit main application window look cannot be customized by the user on using currently latest UltraEdit for Windows v26.00.0.72.

IDM has written for UltraEdit General Discussion forum that the user to user discussion forums are not regularly monitored by IDM. These forums are not a channel to communicate with support staff or developers of UltraEdit. They are for users of UltraEdit like you and me. Of course I have sent the results of my investigations by email to IDM support with the request to make at least all elements inside UltraEdit main application window customizable via UltraEdit theme in a future version of UltraEdit. So there is one user of millions of users who requested at the moment an enhancement regarding to customization of some very small elements in UltraEdit window. The priority for implementation of this enhancement is most likely very low at the moment.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria