Where to invoke the hints? File to large to search in.

Where to invoke the hints? File to large to search in.

Advanced UserAdvanced User

Jan 18, 2022#1

Hi.

I'm exploring some new features of the current version 28.20.0.44.

I liked some hints that show up after some actions took.
    When I joined two lines, soon the associated hint jumped up on my screen, remembering that I can use CTRL-J to do what I did.
    Good.

I dismissed that hint.
    But, later, I would like to view some more hints like that one.
    Where to invoke them?
    I couldn't find where.
    Not even in Help topics (there is no such thing like 'hints').
    At Help menu there is an entry to turn on and off. Not to immediate show.

Another hint told me that CTRL-, (comma) would select all words under caret.
    I tried it and saw that it worked fine. Nice!
    When I did the same action in another file, Ultra Edit refused to do that with this message:

File too large!.png (16.33KiB)

Cannot handle a small file with just 490 kb?

Frustrating...

I must doing wrong.

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 18, 2022#2

The currently latest public version is 28.20.0.92. I recommend to update to this version.

The hints feature is listed in file changes.txt in the program files folder of UltraEdit and on UltraEdit for Windows features page with the list item Hints bar under v26.00. In ribbon mode there is on the ribbon tabs bar on right side a symbol showing a white question mark in a blue circle. Click on this symbol and the opened popup menu has the menu item Show hints to toggle automatic display of hints on or off. In toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus as also in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus the last menu Help contains the menu item Show hints. See also Context sensitive hint (help window) -- how do you turn it off? The hints window cannot be opened by key as far as I know. I disabled showing the hints from the beginning and so do not know much about it.

Press Ctrl+Shift+P to open the command palette which is another feature introduced with UE v26.00 for people not knowing all keys to quickly execute commands (with custom key assignments).

Ctrl + , is assigned by default to the command Make selections which converts all highlighted text anywhere in the file to selections. Multi-caret editing with the ability to make also multiple selections in one file is supported since UltraEdit for Windows v21.00. While it is possible to create one selection selecting even some GB of text, it is not possible to create hundreds of selections in a file for being next edited using multi-caret editing or just two selections in a file on two different positions with an unknown number of bytes between the two positions. There error message is indeed misleading in this use case because of the file size is not the problem, but the number of bytes between the first and the last selection. You have to ask support of UltraEdit if you want to know the limit as it is not documented and I have never played myself to find it out. I suppose the selections (multi-caret positions) must be all within the same file block currently loaded and I think the file is processed by UltraEdit in blocks of 128 KB. But please note that this is just pure speculation. I don't know the facts about the limitations for multi-caret editing and multi-selection feature.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jan 18, 2022#3

Thank you for your prompt and very detailed answer, Mofi.

Nice to know about command palette. 👍
        It would be better if we could call hints palette using keyboard too.

I could see at changes.txt:

Scroll through all hints
        But how?
        Scroll through means clicking the Next link each time? It's not an option.
        Where is the hints file, to look at all of them at once?

Working with multi caret and multi select, I can't select non-contiguous text using the mouse, because the selecting starts to run beyond the point I want to select.
        If I select 2 words in a line and try to select only 3 or 4 words (pressing CTRL key) in another line, the select operation starts to select all words beyond that second point and doesn't stop. It goes further and ruins my selection. Is it a bug?

Grand MasterGrand Master

Jan 19, 2022#4

I am not sure, but I think once a hint is displayed automatically, all hints can be viewed by using next and previous. The hints are stored in the resources file of UltraEdit and so cannot be easily viewed by opening a file and reading it. If a non-English UltraEdit is installed, the hints are in file uedit32.lng (32-bit UE) or uedit64.lng (64-bit UE) in the program files directory containing the translations of all resource text. English UE has the hints in the executable file uedit32.exe (32-bit UE) or uedit64.exe (64-bit UE) as I could find out now. This feature is designed to give the user a hint on the kind of work currently doing by the user. I think, these are all hints stored in executable of UltraEdit on assuming that all hints are in same group with the identifiers 115000 to 115018.

Code: Select all

115000="Press Ctrl + Shift + P to open the command palette, where you can search for functionality and editor settings. You can even save your favorite commands for quick access!"
          115001="Pretty-print, browse, and modify your JSON with the JSON manager. You can access it under Layout » JSON manager."
          115002="Reformat, browse, and modify your XML with the XML manager. You can access it under Layout » XML manager."
          115003="You can preview your Markdown while you edit it! Click the 'Live preview' button in the Coding tab."
          115004="Hover over CSS color values to preview them in a tooltip. Ctrl + click the tooltip to open a color picker and swap in a new color."
          115005="Did you know you can convert CSV files to fixed-width columns and vice versa? Click the 'CSV Convert' button in the Edit tab."
          115006="Quickly join lines by pressing Ctrl + J (or clicking 'Join lines' in the Edit tab)."
          115007="Press Ctrl + period to highlight all occurrences of the word under your caret. Press Ctrl + comma to select all occurrences of the word."
          115008="Select multiple lines, then hold Ctrl and click beyond the line end to set multiple carets at the end of each line."
          115009="You've switched to a user clipboard which will only work in UltraEdit. You can press Ctrl + 0 to switch back to the Windows clipboard."
          115010="You can disable automatic hex mode in Advanced » Settings » Editor » Hex mode."
          115011="Drag a file tab outside of the application to create a new instance with the file you dragged."
          115012="You can double-click in the empty area next to a file tab to quickly create a new file (if enabled under Advanced » Settings » Application layout » File tabs » Miscellaneous)."
          115013="Did you know you can see and navigate all of your bookmarks in the Bookmark viewer? Access it under Layout » Bookmarks."
          115014="Set automatic backups for your FTP files. Check these settings under Advanced » Settings » File handling » Backup."
          115015="Alt + click on a folded node to expand all folds in the file."
          115016="Hold Ctrl and click on recently opened / closed files to open multiple files from the list at once."
          115017="Hold Ctrl and scroll your mouse wheel to quickly zoom in or out."
          115018="For many popular coding languages, UltraEdit offers code completion suggestions called IntelliTips. You can configure these in Advanced » Setting » Auto-complete » IntelliTips."

For a multi-caret editing description open the help of UltraEdit, select second tab Index, enter multi-caret and double click on selected list item Multi-Caret to open the help page Multi-Caret Editing. There is also the power tip Multi-caret editing in UltraEdit.
          Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

Jan 19, 2022#5

Excellent!

Thank you very much for all explanations.