Can't save document window context menu customization with UltraEdit Portable 2023

Can't save document window context menu customization with UltraEdit Portable 2023

NewbieNewbie

14:06 - May 30#1

Hello community,

I use UltraEdit Portable 2023. I have adapted the toolbar to my needs, and it works perfectly. When I tried to adapt the context menu (right-click menu), UE did not accept the changed settings. The adaptation seemed to work at first. I created the menu with my preferred commands, but unfortunately after closing and reopening the menu, all commands were reset to "factory settings".

Does anyone have any advice on what to do?

-Keiler1873

12:00 - May 31#2

Hello community,

I think I have found the problem, but not solved it, as it seems to be a bug in the program. I usually work with toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus. As a test, I created a fresh installation of UltraEdit in a VMware virtual machine with Windows 10 64-bit. There I was able to change the context menu immediately after installation and the changes remained. Only after I switched from ribbon mode to toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus did adjusting the context menu cause a "factory reset". There also seems to be a workaround for the problem:
      1. Switch to the ribbon mode.
      2. Make the changes to the context menu.
      3. Switch back to the toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus.
      4. Now the context menu has saved the changed settings.
      5. IMPORTANT: Do not adjust the context menu while you are working in toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus. You must switch to ribbon mode before adjusting.
      I hope UltraEdit, Inc. is reading this forum and fixes the problem.

-Keiler1873

Grand MasterGrand Master

15:50 - 19 days ago#3

This is a user to user forum. Bug reports must be sent to UltraEdit support by email as I have done a few minutes ago, see below. You should do the same. The more users report an issue the higher becomes the priority.

I recommend opening the Layout Manager window from the traditional menu Views with a click in the first submenu Layouts on first menu item Manage layouts… and use the button Save current state as… for saving the customized layout as custom layout. UltraEdit updates never automatically a custom layout which means the customizations are kept forever on having them saved in a custom layout.

Document and file tab context menu cannot be customized in toolbar/menu mode

I am using 64-bit UltraEdit v2024.0.0.28 on Windows 11 23H2.

A forum member reported an issue with customization of the document window context menu.

I found out additionally that this issue exists also with the file tab context menu. They can be both not customized in toolbar/menu mode with contemporary or traditional menus. It is not even possible to customize them in ribbon mode if UltraEdit was started in one of the two toolbar/menu modes. It is necessary to switch to ribbon mode, exit UltraEdit, restart UltraEdit, do the context menu customizations and then switch to the preferred toolbar/menu mode and never open the customization dialog window in one of the toolbar/menu modes.

The steps to reproduce are:
        1. Start UltraEdit and switch from ribbon mode to toolbar/menu with contemporary menus.
        2. Exit UltraEdit and start it again.
        3. Right click on a file tab and click on last context menu item Customize… There is opened the File Menu window with the Customize dialog window. Make any modification like deletion of an item from the menu or adding a command to the menu. Click on button Close.
        4. Right click on a file tab and look on the context menu. The customization is not visible. The File Menu is back to default.
        5. Right click on a document window and click on last context menu item Customize There is opened the Edit Menu window with the Customize dialog window. Make any modification like deletion of an item from the menu or adding a command to the menu. Click on button Close.
        6. Right click on a document window and look on the context menu. The customization is not visible. The Edit Menu is back to default.
        7. Right click on the main menu and click in the context menu on menu item Traditional menus.
        8. Redo the steps 3 to 6. There is no difference. The menu customizations are lost after clicking on button Close.
        9. Right click on the main menu and click in the context menu on menu item Ribbon mode.
        10. Redo the steps 3 to 6. There is again no difference. The menu customizations are lost after clicking on button Close.
        11. Exit UltraEdit with active ribbon mode and start UltraEdit again.
        12. Redo the steps 3 to 6. Now there is a difference. The File Menu and the Edit Menu are indeed customized.
        13. Right click on the ribbon and switch to toolbar/menu mode with contemporary menus.
        14. Right click on a file tab and look on the context menu which is still the customized File Menu.
        15. Right click on a document window and look on the context menu which is still the customized Edit Menu.
        16. Right click on the main menu and click in the context menu on menu item Traditional menus.
        17. Right click on a file tab and look on the context menu which is still the customized File Menu. Click on last menu item Customize and just click on button Close without making any modification at all. Then open the file tab context menu again. It is set back to default. The customization made in ribbon mode after start of UltraEdit in ribbon mode is lost.
        18. Right click on a document window and look on the context menu which is still the customized Edit Menu. Click on last menu item Customize and just click on button Close without making any modification at all. Then open the document window context menu again. It is set back to default. The customization made in ribbon mode after start of UltraEdit in ribbon mode is lost.
        This was not always the case. The context menu customizations work in all three user interface modes with UltraEdit v24.20 which was the first version with ribbon mode and with toolbar/menu mode with traditional menus.
        Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria

NewbieNewbie

20:36 - 19 days ago#4

Hello Mofi,

Thank you for checking and confirming my bug report. I'm surprised that this bug has been around since version 24.x and no user has reported this problem yet. Following your advice, I reported the bug to UltaEdit Inc. support. Let's see if they respond.

-Keiler 1873