UltraEdit will not start:Cannot load xml dll

UltraEdit will not start:Cannot load xml dll

NewbieNewbie

19:18 - 7 days ago#1

Just installed UltraEdit. When trying to run it I get dialog box with error message: "Cannot load xml dll: libxml2.dll, quitting!"

I'm running windows 10 and latest UltraEdit v. 2024.0
    libxml2.dll  does exist in the system under "C:\Program Files\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit\GNU" directory.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    uedit_error.png (8.74KiB)

Grand MasterGrand Master

7:52 - 6 days ago#2

I do not have such an issue with 64-bit UltraEdit for Windows v2024.0.0.35 on 64-bit Windows 11 23H2 and with 32-bit UltraEdit for Windows v2024.0.0.35 on 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 installed for all users to manually entered installation path C:\Programs\UltraEd instead of using the default installation paths  %ProgramFiles%\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit respectively %ProgramFiles(x86)%\IDM Computer Solutions\UltraEdit. I opened on both computers an XML file in UltraEdit and used the XML manager view. I could verify with free Windows Sysinternals (Microsoft) tool Process Monitor that uedit64.exe and uedit32.exe load on startup successfully C:\Programs\UltraEd\GNU\libxml2.dll.

I suggest following the instructions in Recommendations on updating from UE/UES ≤ v2024.0.0.28 to ≥ v2024.0.0.35 and check if the library loading issue still exists after the uninstall of UltraEdit without license deactivation and without removal of application data folder, restart of Windows, and reinstall of UltraEdit.

PS: The installation to C:\Programs\UltraEd is done by me to have 32-bit and 64-bit UltraEdit always installed into the same directory independent on architecture of UltraEdit, architecture of Windows, version of Windows, language of Windows, and no need of elevated privileges of a local administrator to temporarily rename the program files directory. I quite often restore an older version of UltraEdit from my archives to C:\Programs\UltraEd to answer forum member questions of UltraEdit users using an older version of UltraEdit.
      Best regards from an UC/UE/UES for Windows user from Austria